1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inspection and support staff

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by legoearth, Mar 17, 2013.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Just wondering to what extent support staff are observed or reported on now. Last inspection we had none of the support staff were commented on or the teacher's use of them but this time there seems to be a bit focus on support staff roles in preparation for this summers' up coming inspection. They naurally are very worried about this as there hasn't, in the past, been any particular guidelines on how they should perform. Many of the staff are unqualified but have many years experience under thier belts but as such they have 'done it their own way' for many years. Introducing new guidelines and procedures has rattled a few cages and not gone down too well. was it worth usetting some dedicated long serving staff for an inspection that might not even include anything they do? Primary by the way!

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Just wondering to what extent support staff are observed or reported on now. Last inspection we had none of the support staff were commented on or the teacher's use of them but this time there seems to be a bit focus on support staff roles in preparation for this summers' up coming inspection. They naurally are very worried about this as there hasn't, in the past, been any particular guidelines on how they should perform. Many of the staff are unqualified but have many years experience under thier belts but as such they have 'done it their own way' for many years. Introducing new guidelines and procedures has rattled a few cages and not gone down too well. was it worth usetting some dedicated long serving staff for an inspection that might not even include anything they do? Primary by the way!

3. bonjourmadame

bonjourmadame New commenter

Ofsted are very keen on how the teacher directs the teaching assistant. They want to see that the support staff know exactly what is expected and at feedback she also asked me when I liaise with the TAs so they know what they are doing.

4. Correct. That's because it's a core teaching standard (8c on my crib sheet).

5. At our inspection a few weeks ago (also Primary) the inspectors observed a number of teaching assistants leading interventions and commented on them. Be prepared!

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

All support staff - whatever their job title - should be able to answer the Child Protection questions - the "what do you do if...." ones.

7. Under the new framework a teacher can't get 'good' without the TA making a 'significant contribution to learning''. Yikes!

8. Not strictly true. If the pupils are disadvantaged, then it will affect the outcome, of course. Good teaching, however will make sure this doesn't happen, irrespective of the quality of a teaching assistant.
    Note that the 'new framework' you mention are in fact the teacher standards. There are no ofsted criteria for judging teaching in a lesson.

9. Yes. There are. They are downloadable from ofsted website and directly refer to provision provided by additional adults.

10. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

I have to agree. We had a recent ofsted inspection where lessons were downgraded due to the performance of a TA. This was down to planning and direction by teaching staff. If TAs are not making an impact on teaching and learning then it will automatically become a requires improvement as was the case in our recent inspection.

11. Not since last September it isn't!

12. My school has been ofsted twice since I became chair and on both occassions the role of non-teaching staff was scrutinised as part of checks on value for monay etc.