1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insomnia- can't sleep even when baby is sleeping- help please!?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Firstly I really don't want to complain about the fact that my baby (6 weeks) sleeps well at night- she has her last feed (bottle) at 11 ish then one night feed at 4 and wakes up at 8 or 9am. She goes down well after a feed and settles herself which is a huge blessing. However I find it really difficult to drop off when she goes back to sleep... also my husband does the night feed on Friday and Saturday nights and I find myself lying awake nearly all night, getting frustrated at myself for missing an opportunity to get a proper night's sleep! Basically I haven't slept more than 4 hours at a time for the last 6 months as I suffered from terrible insomnia during pregnancy, now I'm so overtired I simply can't sleep. I'm not anxious but lying awake wound up thinking about anything and everything. Can't nap during the day or evenign either as the same thing happens. Even with lots of relaxing deep breathing.
    I'm going to ask my GP for a sleeping pill to take next weekend when her dad is doing the night feed to break the cycle of overtiredness, but any ideas for things to try before then would eb great! x

2. kittenmittens

Firstly I really don't want to complain about the fact that my baby (6 weeks) sleeps well at night- she has her last feed (bottle) at 11 ish then one night feed at 4 and wakes up at 8 or 9am. She goes down well after a feed and settles herself which is a huge blessing. However I find it really difficult to drop off when she goes back to sleep... also my husband does the night feed on Friday and Saturday nights and I find myself lying awake nearly all night, getting frustrated at myself for missing an opportunity to get a proper night's sleep! Basically I haven't slept more than 4 hours at a time for the last 6 months as I suffered from terrible insomnia during pregnancy, now I'm so overtired I simply can't sleep. I'm not anxious but lying awake wound up thinking about anything and everything. Can't nap during the day or evenign either as the same thing happens. Even with lots of relaxing deep breathing.
    I'm going to ask my GP for a sleeping pill to take next weekend when her dad is doing the night feed to break the cycle of overtiredness, but any ideas for things to try before then would eb great! x

3. I'm sure if you're not breastfeeding then you have a really good reason why not, but if you have trouble sleeping you should try it. It releases some kind of hormone that means you go back to sleep really quickly, it worked with me!!

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  4. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hi I suffered a little with this and I breastfed. Apologies if you've tried a good long walk in the day- lots of fresh air etc, however listen to your body and your head and go to the doctors. I felt anxious but didn't know why, I did manage to fall asleep in the day though. You may need a tablet to break the cycle as the thought of not sleeping can make you anxious and therefore you've entered a vicious circle. Good luck

5. kittenmittens

LO is 6 weeks now and has been formula fed since day 3, so breastfeeding isn't going to happen- but thanks for the suggetsion anyway x

6. YOU POOR THING! I'm feeling your pain because I'm obsessed with sleep (obsessed with getting lots of it that is!). It does sound as if your body has got out of the habit of sleep throughout your pregnancy and more recently with a newborn. Perhaps a little help from some medication might be the answer, however here are my soothing tips for a good night's sleep.... go to bed and get up at the same time every day (even if it means getting up before LO wakes, also try bringing the last feed forward a bit to say 10:30 so you can get more rest); have wind-down time from dinner-time onwards (what time does LO go to bed?); drink chamomile tea or warm milk during this time, light candles, take a bath & put lavender oil in it, don't watch tv or surf the net too much (a bit of reading might help) just chill as much as possible really. Oh and don't drink any booze,caffeine or eat too much chocolate (sorry but it has tons of caffeine in it!!) I really hope this helps x

7. My sister had this and took those herbal sleeping things (kalms?) for a few days- worked a treat. I don't sleep as well as when I was at work but I figure I don't do as much so I'm not as tired! My LO is a good sleeper too!

8. This probably isn't much help but I had exactly the same thing and I have slowly taught myself to get to sleep quicker and not lie awake worrying. LO is 13 weeks now and I can generally get back to sleep pretty quickly although not always! Just to let you know you're not alone :)

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I went through a phase like that when my son was a baby (he's 19 months now). I think your body just gets so used to not getting much sleep that you find it hard when you do get the chance. I never did the sleep when they sleep thing as I was rushing about doing washing and stuff.
    Even now I don't sleep as well as I used to, plus i'm 26 weeks pregnant so could really do with some decent sleep over the next 3 months!
    I went back to the gym, 4 or 5 times a week, when he was 7 weeks old and that helped me to sleep!! Plus I went for lots of walks (he was a June baby, so the weather was good).
    I had problems BF and mix fed for 10 weeks, and I didn't find that BF helped me to sleep. In fact, I was stressed about not being able to do it properly which is probably why I didn't sleep well!
    You could try some sort of herbal tablet, like Kalms (i think that's what they're called). I took them once when I couldn't sleep when I was stressed at work. They just sort of relax you.

10. I think the best thing to do is to talk to your GP for advice. I know that doctors will recommend lots of fresh air and exercise during the day- a long walk with the pram each day might really help.

11. I feel your pain kittenmittens. I go through terrible phases of insomnia, have done since I was about 7 months pregnant. LO is 5 months now and most nights I lie awake for hours, then struggle to get back off after his night feed. He is breast fed so I don't know where my sleepy hormones are!
    I think mine is a bit more anxiety related as it's worse if I am concerned or busy.
    I find getting ready for bed well in advance helps so you're not washing your face/brushing teeth right before bed. Lavender oil is quite good too, I rub a bit on my wrists and chest. Also I find I sleep much better if my fiance is in the spare room!
    It really is awful so I would get to the doctor, I had a night off on Saturday when LO was at his nanna and grandads and although I did wake at 5.30 [feeding time] I did sleeps better. I think a lot of it is listening out for the LO.

12. kittenmittens

Thanks for the advice. GP has prescribed tomazepam to take when hubby is on night duty and I'm sleeping on my own (fri and sat nights). He noticed it took me ages to do up her sleepsuit poppers at her 6 week check and said I looked shattered, which is true! I had a long walk with the pram today, lots of fresh air, cutting back on tea and coffee x

13. 1

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  14. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I suffer from under-active thyroid. Despite feeling tired from this condition, one of the common features is you are unable to sleep and often waken up after a few hours, unable to get back to sleep.
    Something that really works for me is listening to podcasts or audio books with headphones. I subscribe to several different ones (free) that are of interest to me. If I feel that I am tired, but unable to nod off, I listen in and invariably, after a short time fall asleep.
    I have an annoying habit of going over my day or worries unnecessarily as I go to bed so listening takes me into another world. In the past I would read, but with this health condition, I am often fatigued and can't concentrate on a good book.
    Take care.