1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insomia..........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 15, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It appears insomnia is the scourge of the 21st century and I am the founder member of the 'wide awake club.
    I've tried everything from hypnosis, over the counter sleeping pills, melatonin, prescription pills (when GP will let me have them.................normally when I threaten to (metaphorically) to slit my wrists, lavender, little blue lights on the ceiling, wrist bands....................the lot!
    But I've found something that works.................a weighted blanket! This thing weighs almost a stone and literally pins me into bed so I can't wriggle and squiggle. And it's great! There's lots of them around...mine is a 'Calming Blanket'...............and they are not cheap but they work.
    Even if I wake in the night I nod off again quickly, and my pesky bladder can no longer wake me from my pinned down slumber.
    Just thought I'd share this as I know so many of us arein the same sleepless boat.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  2. BelleDuJour

InsomNia

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is it not too hot?

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Sounds like it’s a similar principle to baby swaddling.

5D1E051B-25F9-493E-A89D-EE2C31F87258.jpeg

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

It’s so irritating that thread titles cannot be edited.

BelleDuJour and chelsea2 like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Glad I don't suffer from insomnia, then - I HATE heavy bedclothes, and I hate duvets. All I have on my bed at the moment is a sheet and a cover, and I sleep like a baby most nights.

7. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I heard about these blankets last week. I’m a chronic insomniac and will investigate at once. Thank you for sharing

Dragonlady30 and BelleDuJour like this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I read that the older one gets, the less sleep one needs.
    Saying that, my ten year old is suffering right now.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have suffered from insomnia since final year at uni back in the last century. These days I have to get up to pee in the night, and I often have a kip in the day. The older you are the less sleep you are supposed to need, but that is the b word for scrotum.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That seems to be true. But I wonder if insomnia is only really a condition if it has a negative effect - e.g. sleeping less may be irritating if one has nothing else to do, but actually what is needed is a lifestyle change to fill one’s time. On the other hand, not getting enough sleep can be debilitating and can become a real health issue.

11. BelleDuJour

Surprisingly no.

12. BelleDuJour

That's what I thought...I now realise why babies like swaddling!

Jamvic likes this.
  13. BelleDuJour

Thry make a child's version. The weight of the blanket is based on your own body weight.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had this for a year - it was mostly stress related.

Sleep OK now I am under much less stress.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I can never sleep when I am in Seattle.

Jesmond12 and Jamvic like this.
  16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm awaiting a hospital appointment to see if I have sleep aponia. I might give the blanket a go. Ta Belle!!:) :) :)

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a whole year of night time misery - hour after hour of lying awake - listening to the radio and being unable to sleep. To make matters worse I also had panic attacks - on more than one occasion I was jolted awake from a rare sleep with a huge rising sense of panic, which took hours to come down from. After a few weeks I moved into the spare room as I was keeping my wife awake and although I tried a lot of things, nothing really worked.

It only really ended when my personal circumstances took a turn for the better and slowly I started to be able to sleep more normally.

This was a few years ago now - I still get the odd sleepless night but the panic attacks never returned.

Dad has suffered from insomnia for years.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  18. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Mine would weigh an absolute ton then!

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I can't bear heavyweight bedding so am going to have to put up with more insomnia.

20. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I find my two cats, one draped across my chest and one across the knees, do a pretty good job of weighting the covers down on me. If the blanket was weighted too, I’d never make it out of bed in the morning.

I had a terrible night last night, though - worries, and when I did sleep, nightmares. In the end I got up and put some of my favourite music on.