1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insomia, is it okay to take a day off?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tosca23, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Hi,

For the last few months i have been suffering with insomia, usually i can get a couple of hours and be okay. However the last 2 days on the trott i have had no sleep and feel a nervous wreck, i had to phone in sick today because of this and to go and see a doctor. I am wanting to know that this is okay and a valid enough reason, i am extremely worried and worked up about this.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Hi,

For the last few months i have been suffering with insomia, usually i can get a couple of hours and be okay. However the last 2 days on the trott i have had no sleep and feel a nervous wreck, i had to phone in sick today because of this and to go and see a doctor. I am wanting to know that this is okay and a valid enough reason, i am extremely worried and worked up about this.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Relax. Go and see the doc and take it from there.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

And I meant to say don't worry about being off today - sounds like you would struggle.

5. No dont worry
    Ive been off work 6 weeks now which started with insomnia as I was sleeping two hours and managing to work but ended up in full breakdown mode...which it isnt worth it. Ive had more time off as a result and ended up with worse problems so please do try and take some time off now and try to get some help/advice.I ended up getting some sleeping tablets for a short time which helped.

6. Thanks for the replies

I have never been the type to take time off school and already this year i have had 2 days, i hate leaving people in the lurch and worry about what they will think when i return to work. However this has taken a turn for the worse and i need to get it sorted, i just hope the doctor can help me today, i have tried every cure herbal remedies, regular bedtimes, lavender sprary but i think the problem is deeper and im going to look at getting some sleeping tablets and hope they do the trick in the short term

hope you feel better soon eviec

7. This is not much at all tosca. Back in February I was off for nearly a fortnight with gastroenteritis that was so severe I could barely walk. Luckily I work in a very understanding school and I am of the opinion that any school that gets annoyed at a member of staff who had genuinely been ill for a few days is being unreasonable.

As you said, you felt dreadful and it sounds like you weren't capable of going into work. Hope you manage to get a decent night's sleep soon :)