1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inside out toasted sandwich

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Aug 24, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My sweetheart bought a sandwich toaster a few weeks ago. I can't imagine what prompted her to do so, and as with most of those sold during the late 70s or whenever they flooded the market, it was used once and spends it's time cluttering up the kitchen.
    However this evening, in a moment of inspiration, I put it to good use, and was very pleased with the result.
    I was cooking lamb chops with sweet potato, French beans and a thick, blue cheese, mustard and onion sauce, but I made far more sauce than I needed. I pondered over making a Welsh rarebit starter, and then I remembered the sandwich maker.
    So ok, here's what you do if you have one. Pop 4 slices of bread in a normal toaster and cook them without cremating. Butter them whilst hot so the butter melts and soaks in. Now turn the bread over and spread it on the dry side with the cheese and onion sauce. Slice a couple of mushrooms and lay them on top of a couple of he slices and then complete the sandwich.
    Have the sandwich toaster ready to go and whack it in for about 5 minutes, maybe less, maybe more. I guessed, checked how it was doing and gave it a little longer.
    Having the butter on the outside lightly fries the toast, making up for the loss of flavour you'd get by browning the cheese. It occurs to me it would be a great way of using up leftover cauliflower cheese, if unlike me, you find you have time for breakfast.

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

This sounds great! I'm very full still from the beef bourgignon pie my OH cooked for lunch today, but am very tempted to nip into the kitchen and have a quick leftover toastie now.

I've never put toast into the sandwich toaster either, always started with bread. Going to give it a try...