1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inside applicants-why bother going for job??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rebeccafound, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi
    Advice please.....saw job for 2 days a week, brilliant, went to look round and meet head - it said on advert visits warmly welcomed. She said there is a newly qualified Teacher who has trained there and worked there as a HLTA giong for the same job though. Head said a few things making me think should I apply -
    She said to me please apply - encouraging me what to write etc (numbers up of applicants?)
    She said if I get interview dont worry it will be 'false' and just brief!
    And when I told her im over threshold....well didnt seem excited about that. But did say she didnt want a newly QT really as pay more to come out of classroom etc for induction year. Dont know what to do. Inside job???????? Cheers

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Give it a try. What have you got to lose? Apart from a disappointment if you don't get it. BUT you just might get it and then you'd be kicking yourself if you had not applied. Doesn't make sense because of course if you hadn't applied you couldn't actually have got the post butyou understand my meaningg - hopefully?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I just don't understand this.
    A Headteacher, about to chair an appointment panel, has told you that you would have an interview just for show, and that, basically, you had the job?
    A part-time two-day post in a primary school would be overwhelmed with applicants in my view. Wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing 300, depending on where it is, as so many women teachers with children would like a smaller commitment to teaching.
    So why, oh why on earth would the Head be saying that sort of thing? Why should she be telling one candidate that they were favoured when she hasn't even seen the other 299 applications?
    I just wonder if you have misinterpreted something here, or even misheard. It seems so utterly unprofessional to me for her to be talking like that.
    I am also surprised that she was so non-professional as to tell you that she was prejudiced against one type of applicants. If they wish for an experienced teacher then they should say so in their advert, and not raise the hopes of NQTs. Including their own internal candidate.
    They know her, she works with them, they are letting her apply yet are telling other people that she doesn't have a chance?
    What sort of school and Headteacher is this?
    Now to get back to the actual point of your post: internal candidates do not necessarily get the job. I know that many of you will be saying "But I have been to 3 interviews and every single time the internal got the job". Yes, on occasion they will. But on occasion they will not, and don't forget that a school is not obliged to advertise a post if they have a suitable candidate. The Head could just ask the Governors if they can appoint outright.
    Here's a long discussion on it, but my summing up is that it is always worth applying if you believe that the post and school are right for you, because insiders do not get preference in most cases - they are treated just like anyone else.
    Is there any point going to interview if there is an internal candidate?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com