1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lynnieH, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lynnieH

lynnieH New commenter

My headteacher has given out inset days for next year and has included a Saturday. This is not the first time but in previous years she has put in residentials during weekends. Is this acceptable?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If you in a school that follows STPCD then no it is not acceptable

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Why? I wouldn't want to go.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  4. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

That's a no from me

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

6. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Is there some form of pay back? Toil, remuneration? Such context is important. A please can you do this, instead of, or we’ll do this for you?

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Thin end of the wedge.

Next time it'll be Saturday and Sunday. Then the first week in August.

No.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Residentials at the weekend are usually MUCH cheaper for pupils, so I can see why a school would do that. However, attendance by staff is entirely voluntary, so no-one can be made to go.

INSET is a different matter. If your school doesn't follow STPCD, then you need to read your contract carefully. Our independent does specify some Saturdays...including for training.

Piranha and agathamorse like this.
  9. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I once worked in a school following STPCD where open evening was moved from an evening to a Saturday morning. However this only happened after consultation with staff and unions. The carrot was that we worked 9 - 12 on Saturday and got the whole of the following Monday off. It was very popular.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

First post from someone who has been a member since 2009.

Is this a record?

bajan likes this.
  11. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

Hey Nomad, I was a member for about 10 years until I posted. Didn’t notice the forum existed as I only used the website for resources, and social media was never an interest of mine. I read the forums everyday now but still don’t really post. Troubles me though, that if I do have a dilemma, I won’t be believed. Sorry to hijack your post OP.

12. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

I once worked for a headteacher who, on being appointed to lead our school, declared he wanted us to go on a weekend team building session. Most staff made their feelings very clear and in a blunt manner. It didn’t go ahead and was never mentioned again.
    It’s your Saturday and you can be asked but I don’t believe there can be any expectation or insistence.

13. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Unless you have signed that contract with a MAT. Then the Insect Overlords have your soul in a jar.

Lala24 and agathamorse like this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Odd, as your profile has you as a member since Nov 2018...

15. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

Yes that’s correct. And as my profile states, the password reset also reset the year so it looks like I joined a year ago. (My real name suddenly appeared on posts without my permission so TES did a reset). Since then I can’t find my previous posts about my sister’s death and the lovely comments from people. She was known as RachelPaula008 and was the reason I found the forums and began posting. However, that may be due to my ineptitude with all forms of tech.

16. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

And again, sorry OP. Hope you sorted your dilemma.

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Is this it?

https://community.tes.com/threads/farewell-rachelpaula008.754633/#post-12041668

18. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

That’s so kind Frank, yes that’s it. Thank you. I had a good look last night and figured out that if I don’t search for me, but search for her, the posts are there. Really bitter sweet though. Loads of posts I hadn’t seen before with everyone wondering where she was Your posts about her have always been lovely Thank you