1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INSET on day I don't work

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by kerrsa, Aug 29, 2011.

1. kerrsa

kerrsa New commenter

I teach 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday) and we go back on Friday with an INSET day. Nothing has been said to me about attending so will not be - will actually still be on holiday.
    Why am I feeling guilty about it though?

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

You will need to check with the head how many INSET days you are required to attend over the year.
    I think you will have to attend four fifths as that matches your contracted time. I don't think it matters that you do not normally work on the days as this is an arrangement between yourself and the head/school and could change.
    Technically you are not on holiday on Friday as the term starts on 1st September.
    Worth checking this out beforehand as it could mean the year gets off to a bad start!
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

It does matter - there is a legal protection in the STPCD for part timers on just this issue - moreover the school (or teacher) can't pick and choose whihc day(s) are non-working days.
    Having said that, I would personally go in on the first day just to show willing and be part of the first day back scene, possibly leaving early to indicate that turning up at all was over and above the call of contract, if you feel that is appropriate or necessary.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

ah .. thanks for clarifying that.