1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset in the holidays?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fundisi, Jul 13, 2016.

1. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Next term we start teaching on the 5th of September however we are asked to come in for two days inset on the 1st and 2nd. There is a further inset on the 8th of November. Now I am on a 0.6 timetable and I am not scheduled to teach on that day and therefore I realise I am not forced to attend. How though do I approach my Head to ask to be paid for that day or receive TOIL?

My second question is this: are these inset days, outside of term time, designated days? Do I have to attend, do I apply the 0.6 rule or can I ask for a pro-rata payment?

Now I don't mean to be awkward however I am not FT - I do not benefit from FT pay however I have a FT workload when it comes to Parent's Evenings (usually 1 or 2 a term), writing Half-Term Reports, End of Term Reports, Tutor Reports etc., etc.

BTW: I work at a grammar school that is run by an academy trust so I'm not sure if the school has to adhere to the Teachers' Pay and Conditions Doc.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You should attend on any days of the week that are your normal working days.

If your total days per year exceed 0.6 x 195 you have a case for asking to be paid or negotiating time off in lieu. That is up to you. Better to do it nicely-nicely.

Reports aren't part of directed-time so you should follow current union advice on that.

But if the 1st and 2nd would normally be 'your' days then you go in.

Insist on a directed-time budget for the whole year. You are entitled to one. The HT has to make such a plan.

3. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Thank you.

However, my teaching schedule starts on the 5th - I have no directed days before then.

4. grumpydogwoman

Well, you'd have to study the budget.

You may find that the HT is entitled to direct you before then. The day the kids come in isn't the official end of the holidays.

Ask. And, as I say, if your 0.6 x 195 works out correctly then you most certainly should be going in on the 1st and 2nd.

If you take teaching and INSET days and the maths works in your favour then that's another matter. The HT needs to demonstrate this.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I know I'm nitpicking however that's great advice - thank you.

6. grumpydogwoman

No. It's NOT nitpicking.

A fair day's work for a fair day's pay. You don't want to be exploited. You don't teach kids to send them out into an exploitative world. Know your rights.

As a union rep I worked as hard as anyone but not for free. Teaching is not a hobby.

agathamorse and Geoff Thomas like this.
  7. hatemarking

hatemarking New commenter

The next academic year starts on 1st Sep 16. Many schools have 2 days inset and teaching starts on the 5th

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I wonder if your colleagues are contacting their unions if, as you suggest, INSET is being held in the holidays...

Whether they are or not, I'd speak to my union, were I in your situation.

9. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Where is it written that the next academic year starts on the 1st of September or can Academies take their pick?

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't see anything wrong with starting on 1st September. You shouldn't be forced in on days you don't work though.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It isn't written anywhere because there is no such rule, neither for LA schools nor academies. Term doesn't have to start on 1st September, but equally there's no reason why it shouldn't start on 1st September.

My LA school starts 1st Sept with 1st & 2nd (a Thursday and Friday) being INSET and pupils starting Monday 5th September. 1st and 2nd are within our 195 days. That's probably not an uncommon arrangement this year.

As you are a part timer the test isn't when your first day of directed time is but when is the first day of directed time for full time staff.

12. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Sorry! I didn't mean to sound aggressive! I was just wondering...so if FT staff have to attend Inset on the 1st then i'll join them. However does the 0.6 rule still apply?

13. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I've emailed my head about the directed time budget but I'll need to take a look at next years diary in order to make the comparison.

14. grumpydogwoman

Well, the budget should include everything in the academic year 2016 to 2017. And, as stated, it begins on 1st September. Certainly check it.

The published term dates apply ONLY to the pupils.

Yes, the 0.6 rule applies to all directed-time. Remind the HT that you do ALL the meetings for parents so you do not lack goodwill or application.

I always did a tiny bit extra so I could point to that (I was 0.6) if push came to shove.

emerald52, agathamorse and wanet like this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@grumpydogwoman makes a good point. Term dates are for pupils, they are when pupils must attend - 190 days a year if you are on STPCD. Term dates are not the staff's working days - they are 195 days a year if on STPCD. The title of your thread is probably wrong, staff are not being asked to attend INSET in their holidays, even though the pupils will still be on holiday. Staff holiday finished (for full time staff) on 31st August.

16. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Good point - thank you, I understand a bit better now.

I'm unable to increase my hours and even now I use my days off timetable for marking/report writing so I am just "looking down the back of the couch" for any cash I may have "lost"!

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you look at 'term dates' on your school website, you will probably see that the 1st and 2nd are designated INSET days and are the first two of five in the school year. Therefore if you usually work on a Thursday or Friday you will be expected to be in school on those days. Term for pupils probably starts on the Monday. This is an entirely normal start to the school year and will be the same as a great many other schools.

This is entirely usual and it has been about 30 - 40 years since anyone made a fuss about Kenneth Baker taking 5 days of school holidays for teacher INSET.

ilovesooty and DYNAMO67 like this.
  18. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Thanks. That's two down - if I am on 0.6 that means I am only contracted to attend 1 more inset day so I need to find out what my total directed-time is so I can negotiate with my HM.

19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you do not work Thursday/Friday, then you do not have to attend on the 1st/2nd (unless there is something extra added to your contract about this).
    You do not have to attend 0.6 of INSET days; you can only be directed on 0.6x195 days (if you work in whole days). If all the INSET is on Thursday/Friday, then you'll probably be teaching 0.6x195 days.

Having said that, the days at the start of the year can be particularly useful. The school can offer you pay or time off in lieu to attend. If they aren't willing to do that, then you don't have to attend (or you could choose to attend only the bits you want). You might agree with the school that you attend these two in place of others which are on your working days later in the year.

The 0.6 is not 0.6 of INSET, 0.6 of meetings, 0.6 of parents' evenings, all separately. It is a total amount - so you can be directed for up to 0.6x1265 hours, with whatever mix of non-teaching activities they decide. There is a separate argument, however, that if meetings and parents' evenings use up all the directed time, you are being denied professional development, which is discrimination.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  20. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm not understanding. As a full time teacher, I've attended INSET days at the start of term. In fact, I've never in 13 years started teaching on the first available day after the holidays.

The only time you shouldn't attend INSET is if it falls on a day off and you're not being paid for it.