1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INSET - help please!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by joyful1, Jan 30, 2011.

1. joyful1

joyful1 New commenter

Hello,
    I have been asked to organise a whole school INSET day on the area of 'sensory curriculum'. I have considerable experience working within the field of PMLD, but the Headteacher is wanting the sensory curriculum developed across the whole school - a secondary special school. I have developed a curriculum for students with PMLD to follow, and those working at p5/6 and below - it isn't this that she is wanting developing across the school - but a multi-sensory approach for all students, at their level.
    To be honest, I am pretty stuck as to where to even start so any thoughts and ideas would be truly appreciated.
    Thanks ever so much for any guidance anyone can give to me.

x

2. joyful1

joyful1 New commenter

Hello,
    I have been asked to organise a whole school INSET day on the area of 'sensory curriculum'. I have considerable experience working within the field of PMLD, but the Headteacher is wanting the sensory curriculum developed across the whole school - a secondary special school. I have developed a curriculum for students with PMLD to follow, and those working at p5/6 and below - it isn't this that she is wanting developing across the school - but a multi-sensory approach for all students, at their level.
    To be honest, I am pretty stuck as to where to even start so any thoughts and ideas would be truly appreciated.
    Thanks ever so much for any guidance anyone can give to me.

x

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

<font size="2">This might be way off what you are looking for but for the higher attaining pupils (P6 and up) I'd think of VAK (visual, auditory and kinaesthetic) teaching approaches, ensuring you cover each pupils possible learning style. Encouraging teachers to use all of the pupils senses not just visual (they probably do this already, just let them know its good and to do more of it ) include signing and symbols, smells and movement. Encourqge teachers to use different activities to teach things, not just tell and demonstrate&hellip; You will probably find the staff all have their favourite ways of teaching things so once you&rsquo;ve given some ideas maybe give them an idea of something to teach and let them see how many ways of teaching it they can come up with: eg &ldquo;the solar system&rdquo; you can look at the planets, paint them, label them, act them out, sing about them, assign a smell or an action to each one (eg Venus the goddesses love could have a very feminine smell, Mars go of war would be more fiery etc.) </font>