1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset for part timers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vikkihb, Sep 5, 2011.

1. A few years ago I was told I had to attend Inset, but if it wasnt on a day I work I wouldn't be paid. I fought this decision and was paid. I'm at the same school with a new head teacher and a similar situation has arose. My HT is happy for me to not attend Inset if its on a non working day BUT if I do go I wont be paid... Today I would have missed out on fire safety, child protection, literacy and Manual handling training. There is no provision for the part timers to "catch up" on what they have missed other than viewing power points in their own time. I also have been asked to lead and attend staff meetings on non working days. I am fine with coming in for parents meetings, trips, sports days unpaid as I am part of the school community but I Don't see that bits fair for us to not be included I training...
    What happens elsewhere?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Oh dear!

Welcome to TES, vikki

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

I think it is pretty simple...you attend a proportion of INSET, depending on how part time you are.
    So if you are 0.6, you attend 3 out of the 5 days INSET. It's unlikely that the INSET is always on your day off. If the HT particularly wans you to attend the first INSET of the year, and it is on your day off, go to it but then you could miss one of the others later in the year, whether it is on one of your days off or not.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

No! Check out the Pay and Conditions forum - there's plenty on this.
    If it's your working day you go. If it's not, you do not have to and cannot be directed to either.
    It may depend on your contract but many part-timers have other jobs/committments and that is why they cannot be directed on non-working days.
    Union advice is that you should be invited to attend Inset days and that you should be paid for the days that are not your normal working day, if you choose to go.
    Keepng up to date on stuff for part timers is always an issue, especially if your HT tries to play the system.
    Maybe check with your union and then decide how much of a fight you want, if it comes to that.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/515587.aspx

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

The above advice is all sound. Best to plan the year ahead with your HT, so that you do not miss out on essential training and your and the schools needs are met. Like most things it requires a degree of maturity of outlook by both sides x

6. Joi

Joi New commenter

"Subject to sub-paragraph 9, no teacher employed part-time may be
    required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of
    any day of the week that the teacher is not normally required to be
    available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is
    for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for
    the sole purpose of performing other duties)" (Paragraph 62.8 STCP 2011)

I find this a useful quote!