1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset Days

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by samwell123, Jun 24, 2019.

1. samwell123

samwell123 New commenter

Hello - I could really do with some advice please? I currently work a three day week in a school. The school has introduced an extra inset day, so 6 in total. As a part time teacher am I required to work all 6? They are always on days when I am not contracted to work (Mon and Fri) and so far this year I have been to two inset days. I was of the understanding you needed to attend the same percentage of your working work, but this does not seem the case at me school. It's difficult to find out the right answer and maybe it does differ between schools! Thank you:)

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

What does your contract say?

jlishman2158 likes this.
  3. samwell123

samwell123 New commenter

It says 2 days...an extra day has been 'added' in but no new contract given.

4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Write to your employer and ask them if they want you to attend and what they intend to pay you for this additional day's work that is not in your contract.

5. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If they are not on days you do not work you do not have to attend them

You could quite easily have another job on the days you are not contracted for your school

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

agathamorse likes this.
  7. samwell123

samwell123 New commenter

Yes, good point! I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks for your comments :D

phlogiston likes this.
  8. ET1984

ET1984 New commenter

Hi I work 0.5 and we have 5 inset days so I attend 2 full days and another morning. Next year they are all on my non working days and I have a little boy now and have to pay for childcare so not sure what to do.

9. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I didn't think you could just add INSET days as you have to do 195 days with the children . What's the justification for this?

jlishman2158 likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

190 days teaching children + 5 INSET days [" ...days on which the teacher may only be required to perform other duties..."] Although STPCD theoretically allows the teaching days to be reduced to 189 and INSET increased to 6.

But that's only the rules in STPCD. It could be that OP is in academy that doesn't use STPCD and writes its own employment contracts.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If they are all on your non-working days, then you don't go to any of them. It is that easy.

strawbs, madcatlady, Piranha and 2 others like this.
  12. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Echo the above post

If you have a job in a school Monday and Tuesday it is possible you could have a job at Tesco on Thursday and Friday

If the school chooses to have inset on Friday tbhen you can’t go as you have a contract with Tesco

Remember both you and the school have agreed how many days you work and the days that they are can change at the start of each academic year but that is all

This agreement is called a contract and you have both signed it

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have designated days. You work only those days. No other days whatsoever. Unless paid to do so. But only of your own volition.

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Also, a full-timer can be directed on only 195 days, and a part-timer who works in whole days should only be directed on that proportion of 195 days. If someone works TWTh and all the inset is on M/F, then they are most likely teaching on all the days they should be working. The answer to anyone who says you have to do inset days in proportion is that in that case you should also be doing teaching days in proportion.

But do check your contract - whether you're under STPCD and whether they have added "plus n inset days" to the contract.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why have you been to any if they are on days you are not working at the school? I hope they paid you extra to attend...;)

16. grumpydogwoman

Useful caveat there.

It's extremely unlikely you have such a contract but it's not impossible. Check. And believe nobody who tells you that, in the absence of such a contract, you have to go in on those days. You don't. You are covered by STPCD. They'd have to prove the contrary by brandishing a piece of paper at you that specifically states such a provision.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Might be covered by STPCD, @samwell123 hasn't yet said whether they are working on STPCD.

18. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

This. Either it's a day you work or it isn't.

HR at our school have confirmed this is the case when I queried it for a colleague in my faculty this year.

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have no idea why this idea keeps on circulating. For anybody under STPCD, it is simple - you attend INSET on days when you would normally work and not any others, which could mean that you attend none or all of them. There is no need for excuses about working elsewhere. If you are willing to go to INSET not on your normal working days, and the school is willing to pay you, then that is possible, but only if both sides agree. Schools should vary their INSET days so that in practise, part timers do about the correct proportion of them. For anybody under STPCD, it is not hard to find the right answer - just download and read it. And, if required, show it to your Head.

If you are not under STPCD, then I suppose it might depend on your contract. However, if that meant working more than the relevant percentage of full time hours, I suspect it might count as discrimination against part time workers. But that is just my suggestion.

As in all such cases, if you are unhappy then consult your union. Some of us know a bit about such matters, but a union can provide definitive advice and real support.

20. grumpydogwoman

Subject to paragraph 51.10, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).

51.9 of STPCD
    Page 48
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...eachers__pay_and_conditions_document_2018.pdf

You teach in some funky free school? Or overseas? Maybe STPCD doesn't apply. But unless the employer can point out you have contracted otherwise? Come ON!

agathamorse likes this.