1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INSET days before contract starts - pay

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by stavanger14, Aug 24, 2018.

1. stavanger14

stavanger14 New commenter

Hi,

I'm starting a new position (private school) and my contract starts on the 4th September but there is an INSET day on the 3rd. I am presuming I have to go but wondering whether I should/ will be getting paid for the day. I haven't actually received my contract yet, only the offer letter which specifies a start date of 4th September.

Thanks all!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The chances are very high that you'll be paid for September, not just for 4th to 30th.

3. stavanger14

stavanger14 New commenter

Ah right, thanks. I also have to be in on the 31st for training, bit of a pain as it's before the weekend so would be nice to be paid for it!

4. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

You need to be careful!

Firstly, you should not be expected to go to work for a day and not be paid.

Secondly, if your last contract finishes 31 August, but the next does not start until 4th, you will miss out on a complete year of pension service and will make counting continuous service awkward.

Ensure and insist that your contract begins 1st September.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Thanks for asking this! My contract doesn't start until 1st September and I wasn't paid for the July inset, transition day etc.

6. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

Did you get paid from the previous school if you were in a contract with them in July?

7. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

NQT from this September coming so no! Not on any contract.

8. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Last year, I was expected to attend three training days at end of August, though my contract did not start until Sept. I was paid for those 3 extra days. Check with HR at your school and make sure you get paid!

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I would send a politely worded email to your new school asking them to confirm how you go about claiming payment for the two days you have already worked in July and for the training and Inset days on 31st August and 3rd September, and saying that you will be happy to complete any necessary paperwork when you are in school this Friday.