1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset days and phased retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by cheekychops, May 3, 2012.

1. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Does anyone know what the set up is regarding training days when you are working a shorter week. As of September i will only be working Weds, Thurs and Friday and we have two training days at the beginning of the new term on the Mon and Tues. At the moment i don't mind doing them 'as a good will gesture' but wonder if its feasible to ask for time in lieu at a a later date. One friend who works in a school says if the training days fall on your days off you don't do them

2. cheekychops

Does anyone know what the set up is regarding training days when you are working a shorter week. As of September i will only be working Weds, Thurs and Friday and we have two training days at the beginning of the new term on the Mon and Tues. At the moment i don't mind doing them 'as a good will gesture' but wonder if its feasible to ask for time in lieu at a a later date. One friend who works in a school says if the training days fall on your days off you don't do them

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

That's true, but you have to do some directed time so it may as well be the training days, or at least a proportion of them. It's part of your CPD and you may miss out on some valuable stuff.
    Perhaps they'll pay you to attend.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

You simply cannot be directed to do anything on days that you not work!
    Please do not offer your services for free. That is unprofessional. It could cause all sorts of difficulties later for other part time staff.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What do you do about Parents' Evenings that fall on your day off?
    Frankly, I go because it's useful to see the parents and I don't want to spend hours ringing them to discuss their offspring.
    There are definitely disadvantages to working part-time. I've been doing so for nearly 30 years.

6. I worked part time (80% timetable last year). Your HR manager or Head should have negotiated with you concerning Parents Evenings. If they occur on your day off, there is no legal requirement for you to attend, without being paid to do so. Because I worked an 80% timetable I was only required to attend 4 out of 5 Inset days. If they occurred on my day off, I did not attend, despite the fact that I would be paid to do so. Remember you cannot be directed by the Head to do anything on your day off. Everything for that day is up for negotiation. Hope this helps.

7. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I am sure your HT would not dream of asking you do anything on days for which you are not paid.
    This has nothing to do with phased retirement at all.

8. cheekychops

Thanks for your reply mrkeys actually our deputy head is going to reduce her working week to three days as well and while having a quiet chat about the CPD days she said that she thought we should be doing them as a goodwill gesture. No wonder i'm not sure what to do. At the end of the day i need to just bite the bullet and speak to the head.

9. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

She is a member of SLT and, presumably, on the Leadership scale. If you are not, why should you show so much goodwill?

In any case you could have something else to do on those days - childcare? Some other caring? Another job...

10. cheekychops

Yes iFolkfan i know exactly what you mean am just a classroom teacher with an ageing parent to care for!

11. Goodwill gesture???????????????? What stuff and nonsense some of SLT come out with. Coming to work without being paid for it? Only a fool would do that.