1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset days 0.6 contract

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Ellie_69, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Ellie_69

Ellie_69 New commenter

I’ve been working 3 days a week (Tues/weds/thurs) for a few years now. When I first took on the role Inset days were a bit hazy. As I understood it I did 3/5 Inset days. I have been doing that up until this year when I sat and worked out im actually doing more than I think I should be. Because my working days are mid week, training often falls on Mondays or Fridays. I’ve been coming in for them but not being paid. I just accepted it. But recently I’ve begun to think that’s probably not correct. I’ve checked my contract and I’m listed as 0.6 759 hours. I’ve worked that out that the 759 comes from 0.6 of 1265. When sharing 1265 into 6.5 hrs a day that’s 195 days for a ft teacher. If I’m expected to do 759 hours at 6.5 a day which is my contract that’s 117 days. With my training days and the way the holidays begin/finish I’ll end up doing 121 this academic year. Is this right? Should I be paid for the training days/extra days I’ve done? it came to my attention when I realised on a week when there is training on a Monday and I’m in for it, I still then work tues/weds/Thurs. which isn’t 0.6 of the week, it’s more. I’m starting to get frustrated with doing so much and getting little back!! Any help anyone has I’d appreciate it. Thank you!

2. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

I had the same dilemma when I started working part time on 0.6.
    You cannot be expected to attend inset days which are not on a day you usually work (so Monday or Friday for you) without being paid or given TOIL. Please do not think that 0.6 means you have to do 3 inset days.
    Whoever sets when the inset days are should be taking part time workers into account.
    My DH had this issue and tongue in cheek suggested we had an inset day on a Saturday. “But we don’t work Saturdays.” was the response from our head. “I don’t work Fridays.” was the DH’s answer. Facetious? Yes but it made the point.

strawbs likes this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

correct info from @NoIdeaWhy2 . If they do not fall on your working day you do not need to attend.

Ellie_69 likes this.
  4. Ellie_69

Ellie_69 New commenter

Thank you, I thought this was the case. I’m annoyed I haven’t realised this a bit sooner really. I think I’ve been doing it for about 4 years!! It was only this academic year I sat and counted how many days I was working inc inset and it was more than 0.6. I bet the other years have been the same too!

5. Ellie_69

Ellie_69 New commenter

Thank you. Now the awkward conversation with my headteacher

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

A few years back it was common to attend for a percentage of inset days eg the 3 out of 5 you quote. Since the STPCD set it out plainly, you now only attend if they fall on one of your usual working days. If the school wants you to attend outside of this, and you want to agree, then they should pay you. Otherwise say no. As a part timer they should calculate your expected directed time timetable for the year to make sure it is covered by those 759 hours.

7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Do you have a union rep who could apek to the HT with you? If it helps in your conversation with the HT, here are the relevant bits from STPCD:
    51.9. Subject to paragraph 51.10, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other
    duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).
    51.10. Subject to paragraphs 51.6 and 51.11, a part-time teacher may be required to carry out duties, other than teaching pupils, outside school sessions on any day on which the teacher is normally required to be available for work (whether the teacher is normally required to be available for work for the whole of that day or for only part of that day)
    41. Part-time teachers cannot be required to work or attend non-pupil days, or parts of days, on days they do not normally work, but it should be open to the teacher to attend by mutual agreement with the headteacher and the pay calculation in paragraph 44 below should be applied to any resultant additional hours worked.

Lalad likes this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Please seek advice from your union at regional level before speaking to your head. If you had been overpaid for the past 4 years, and the school had realised this, you would be asked to pay back the amount in question. If, as appears likely, you have been underpaid for the past 4 years, you should be able to claim payment for the days for which you have not been paid.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's a bit more complicated than that. A part-timer can go in for the extra inset days and be paid for them by mutual agreement. It doesn't sound like the school told Ellie to attend; she just thought she was supposed to. If she'd asked about pay, the school could have said no (although even schools that say no are usually open to teachers choosing to attend for free). So I'm not sure she can demand back-pay. There might be more of a case if she discovers that other part-timers, over the same period, were paid extra to attend.

strawbs likes this.
  10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Exactly... which is why she needs proper union support.