1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset day next monday

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by am0321, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Hi everyone! Starting as a level 1 TA next week,
    Could anyone give me an idea as to what inset days involve? All ive been told is to dress casual!

A :)

2. Hi everyone! Starting as a level 1 TA next week,
    Could anyone give me an idea as to what inset days involve? All ive been told is to dress casual!

A :)

3. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Well I can only speak for my school (secondary) but we start off in the main hall and they do stuff like an overview of the results and quick intro of new staff (sometimes they have to stand up so we know who they are - sorry, this might just be my school though)>
    Then people have to go to certain meetings - tutor group, faculty, whatever - and there will almost certainly be an induction session for new staff - teachers and TAs.
    With any luck you should get some lunch and tea/coffee and maybe biscuits :)
    Whatever we have meetings/training on is usually whatever is the hot topic of the moment.
    Then we all go to the staff room and throw darts at a dartboard with Gove's face on it (joking - or am I ...?)
    It's usually quite a nice day.

4. Ha ha love the darts idea!
    Im actually quite excited! I suppose thats a good thing.
    They did mention something about lunch being provided too - winner!!
    I cant wait to start this job!
    Thanks very much for your help :)

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We have a whole day of death by powerpoint and a terrible lunch. It's not gripping. We then have a faculty day on Tuesday.

6. Same, but we have to provide our own terrible lunch...

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

this all sounds very familar!
    take a pencil case with a pen or two, a diary may or may not be provided, you will need one so at least take a notepad just in case. As a TA you may find that your colleagues are prepared to lend basic equipment to pupils who should have their own, worth finding out; personally i would avoid doing it as you will end up spending a fortune replacing what you don't get back and it discourages pupils from becoming independent IMO
    You will be given all sorts of info such as computer log ons, get organised on how to record all of that or you will be asking for a reset on day two.
    You may or may not be given lunch, becoming less likely. Your department may decide to go out for a lunch somewhere so take some cash. There may be a tea boat to join, possibly a fund for buying leavers presents, cards etc.
    Some schools have nice clean mugs, some departments will offer you a disgusting crusty object, so take a mug with you.

8. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

We get a late, cooked breakfast - but no lunch.
    2 years ago we also got Buck's Fizz - but I don't see that happening again any time soon.
    We also get death by powerpoint, but usually only before breakfast. Meetings then dept time.

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

If you'd ever had one of our lunches, you be glad that you never had another. I took a pack up last time, and got told I was not being school centred! Maybe this time I'll just **** off home :)

I've seen the schedule today. All of SLT on a rota from 9 til 3.30. One of them want to incorporate video into the PPT.

Day 2 for depts... but I have interviews all day so no dept time for me. Great.
    I DESPISE INSET.

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i suspect you are experienced and fed up with being expected to differentiate all your lessons, then sitting through the same INSET yet again while most of the SMT opt out as they are too important/busy to waste their time listening to it themselves.

11. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

[​IMG]

12. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Yep.
    At least at this time of year, they haven't needed their paltry number of lessons covered so that they can write their *** powerpoints (or rather, jot down on paper what they want so that a minion can type them up for them)
    Never mind that I can read and don't need the bloody thing read to me whilst being projected and having a sodding handout.

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

[​IMG]

14. erp77

erp77 New commenter

GCSE/A-Level results analysis

Introduce new staff

Death by PowerPoint on the latest new fad the Head has adopted this year

Pastoral meetings

Departmental meetings

Pub lunch

Departmental time to get on with sorting out classroom and preparing for first teaching day.

15. phone in sick! you will feel better straight away! lol. I'm only going into build the Gove Dart board idea.