1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inset day 11th May

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by sicilypat, May 3, 2020.

1. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

I have just received an email from my HT setting out an agenda for the inset day on 11th May. We seem to be expected to attend school on that day unless we have shielding letters,in which case Teams will be used .My HT says that social distancing will be used on our Inset day. Is this acceptable?

2. grayst

grayst New commenter

Nope. Speak to your union rep.

I'm going in to my school tomorrow - we've been given access every Tuesday, starting now - to get some work done, but it's voluntary, there will be few people in and I'll be alone in my room all day.

Being called in to a building with a full staff does not sound attractive. What's on this "agenda" - are there all-staff or faculty meetings? Is there anything which couldn't be done remotely? Does it really need to be done, right now?

sicilypat likes this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Would be interesting to see how this pans out, sp.

sicilypat likes this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

No. The HT says that Teams will be used for those not physically attending so Teams could be used for everybody. Nobody is supposed to be going to work unless the job cannot be done from home.
    Union.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  5. braemar

braemar New commenter

We have an agenda for Thursday - for the first half we have to rank the SQA classes that we share - that work will be done through Teams. The second half is doing work on PRD. There is no expectation on us to go to school for the inservice.

sicilypat likes this.
  6. puppyofdoom

puppyofdoom New commenter

We had our inset today. It was given over totally to the ranking process and was done completely through Teams.

From the SSTA's most recent bulletin: "Members should not attend meetings at school." (Their emphasis.) https://ssta.org.uk/members-bulletin-30-april-2020/

7. moscowbore

Swinney was on telly last night. He was pretty clear that there is no chance of schools going back before summer.

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I would imagine, then, that next session is going to be really interesting. Whether that is interesting "good" or interesting "bad" remains to be seen (I wonder which it will be?).

I get the feeling that in the coming months we will find out exactly how feckless, ineffective and incompetent our alleged "leaders" actually are.

sicilypat and GuessWho like this.
  9. moscowbore

Social distancing will be a fact of life for everybody, including schools. We need to find a new way of doing it. Each proposal I have read has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    Having all pupils in is a non-starter. So if we only have half in, we will be able to manage social distancing, washing, masks and gloves. But then we have the problem of needing twice as many teachers to complete syllabuses. Exam classes will not be able to have the necessary number of teaching hours. Maybe timetables will remain as normal but half the class are online and students take it in turn to come in. That would make teaching multiple qualifications in the same room impossible but that is a good thing.

Personally, I would commandeer rooms in other council buildings and "feed" the lesson into a supervised room.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

10. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

A wee update on our school situation. After advice from the unions, and contact from a number of our staff, the HT backed down and tried to say she had never meant what she clearly had meant ( and had said in writing ) Anyway it will be Teams on Monday for me and hopefully HT will play by the rules in future.

puppyofdoom, bigjimmy2 and grayst like this.
  11. grayst

grayst New commenter

No he wasn't. "Clear" would be an unambiguous policy statement - in writing - that kids will not be back in schools before a date in August, as the Irish have done.

They're still hanging on waiting to see what the rest of the UK and Europe do, and what their ongoing polling numbers look like.

MilkyBar Kid likes this.
  12. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

In a standard classroom (between 50 and 60 metres sq), there will only be a maximum of 8 or 9 pupils permitted, plus the teacher, for social distancing to be followed properly.

Implications:

- Having half the class in is unlikely. Maybe 25-30%, maximum
    - Will we all get masks and aprons or are there perspex shields around the teacher's desks? (we'll be the ones at risk)
    - If teachers are at work teaching all day, how can work be set for the other 75% who are at home? 35 hour week still applies
    - You wont be able to go around the class to help kids
    - You won't be able to mark their jotters
    - The won't be able to borrow class materials (rulers, pencils etc) unless they are properly sanitised
    - SQA will have to radically reduce exam content or even scrap exams in 2021
    - Who ensures social distancing at lunchtime? Not me. I'm not paid for it

This is an absolutely enormous fustercluck. Don't think people realise how massive an impact this is going to have

13. moscowbore

Excellent observations effin.
    I heard last night on the Scottish news that some government bod has already suggested using council owned spaces for teaching to allow all pupils to go to school and identified that recruiting new teachers is going to be problematic as the teaching workforce will need to double.
    SQA will have to cancel exams. They have no choice.
    School will have to change radically to allow for social distancing. I am waiting to see where in the world opens up secondary schools first. The ones in China are starting to open but are all very tightly controlled , small classes, no breaks or lunch, masks and gloves the norm.

14. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

and i suspect that kids in China are used to sitting in rows and doing what they are told!!!

sicilypat likes this.
  15. grayst

grayst New commenter

A lot will depend on individual school circumstances. My school's building is way under capacity - we have spare classrooms. I have two, interconnected by a prep room. I can see ways of making things work there.

But places like Boroughmuir and Gillespie's are way over capacity. In normal times every classroom has a class in it, all the time, and all the teachers are constantly moving.

Yikes, is all I can say.

Staff may well be back in before the summer. The Irish are doing that, and (from a union meeting yesterday) some authorities in Scotland are beginning to talk about it.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. Effinbankers

If there are no kids in I dont see the need for staff to return to school buildings in June.

You wont be able to have big staff meetings. Therefore we can work safely from home.

I have faster broadband and a better functioning laptop than I do when I'm at work, where I'm tied to a network which is always breaking down

GuessWho, sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  17. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

This has the makings of a Marxs Brothers movie . .

sicilypat likes this.
  18. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

I had to laugh that Education Scotland are "producing" materials for teachers to use, this would have been great when CfE was introduced, and HMIe are also going to be highlighting good practice - yeah because they are so good at highlighting it when things were normal and hearing rumours that once inspections start again, they will have the audacity to inspect how well schools planned and implemented home learning. I say when schools re-open, they volunteer to come in and help.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  19. Effinbankers

Shouldn't be any inspections until the autumn of 2021. At the earliest.

People are dying and they want to crawl all over teachers and pupils? Pathetic.

bigjimmy2, sicilypat and alanuk like this.
  20. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

1) Remember, during the lead-up to the introduction of CfE we were told repeatedly that teachers had the complete freedom to teach as they wished, so no need for Education Scotchland, or any other education quango for that matter, to do anything remotely resembling meaningful work. A visit to a nearby stream for a bit of PE, catch a few insects, draw a landscape, have a wee dance, write a poem and all that pathetic f_____' garbage!

2) Betcha the "materials" produced are rubbish. They probably will be because they will be produced in a bit of a hurry. Also, the quality of any materials doesn't matter in any case , just as long as they can say "we did something", which seems to be the case in education for the nearly twenty years I've been doing it.

3) Does HMIe know what good practice is? Would they recognise it if they saw it? Could they point out an Orangeman at a Lodge, or a Catholic at Sunday Mass (let's not be bigoted here)? I hope you're joking about inspections, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised.

4) Too right, auk, disband these silly, ineffective and utterly pointless organisations and get those barsetards back into the classroom for an honest day's work for a change.

sicilypat, Alice K and GuessWho like this.