1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INSET and 0.6

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Josie1945, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Josie1945

Josie1945 New commenter

Hi I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. I work three days on a 0.6 contract. INSET days have most recently happened on days which I do not work. As part of my contracted hours- do I still have to attend these INSET days? (so work four days in a week if they are on a day I do not work?) I attend twighlights which are on my working days and any INSET days which are on my allocated working days.
    Thank you

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You only have to attend if they are timetabled for your normal working day eg they are on a Wednesday and you normally work Wednesdays. If they are on a day you don’t normally work then you only attend if both you and your line manager agree that you can attend and will be paid for it. If you are not able/ do not wish to attend then you don’t have to. Definitely don’t go if they don’t want to pay you even if it would be useful.

yade, DaisysLot and strawbs like this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

With the usual caveat of assuming your school follows STPCD, absolutely as @Sundaytrekker says. Many such similar threads on here, but not all have given the correct advice as stated above.
    STPCD para 51.9 (I almost know it off by heart by now!)
    51.9. Subject to paragraph 51.10, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).

DaisysLot and sally_nic like this.
  4. Missied2

Missied2 New commenter

Will need to remember this .....I've applied for a part time role and the job description says to be available for training on non-allocated working days. Thought I'd wait and see if I get it before discussing with the school leaders!

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

If it is in the job description that you need to be available for training on non-allocated working days, you will be deemed to have accepted the job on those terms.

annascience2012 and strawbs like this.
  6. Missied2

Missied2 New commenter

That's what I was thinking which is why (if I'm successful) I'll need to discuss with school leaders what is actually expected and if they plan to pay me for those days.

strawbs and Lalad like this.
  7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Don't ask 'if' - ask them to confirm you will be paid pro rata at your agreed rate of pay for the extra days worked.

strawbs and Catgirl1964 like this.
  8. Missied2

Missied2 New commenter

Good point, Lalad! Will keep in mind if I'm successful.