1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insect Detectivs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Apr 26, 2011.

1. inq

inq

What if they don't find any?
    Are they only looking for insects or general minibeasts?
    How will you ensure insects aren't harmed and are returned to where they were found?
    Y6 may already recognise most of the insects they find so won't need to use the websites.
    What is the learning objective for the lesson?
    They will probably enjoy the lesson as long as it isn't pouring with rain.

2. I'm a trainee and I'm teaching a similar lesson in a few weeks time with a year 5 class. We're observing and classifying minibeasts. I'm going to be bringing in some leaf litter for the class and I'm borrowing things like white trays, pooters, magnifying glasses, paint brushes (to gently brush the minibeasts but not in a cruel way- university's idea), microscopes etc. I'm going to get the leaf litter from my garden and then put it into trays with lids on top to carry into school (white trays-easier to see the minibeasts). It's my way of ensuring that there will be minibeasts e.g. woodlice and centipedes inside because I know that if I sent the children outside, they'd probably find a few woodlice if that. There's just a small field at my placement school. They'll know what the minibeasts are called. I'm sure my class will, e.g. woodlice. They're unlikely to find something that they've never seen before.

I'm going to give each small group of children a tray and they'll have gloves they can wear (hygiene). I'm going to ask them to make a list of ten interesting things and leave it really open. It could be about the leaves or the minibeasts. Maybe they'll find one or two leaf skeletons. They'll then be seeing which minibeasts they have and we'll have magnifying glasses, small containers etc to get a close look at them with. They can classify them e.g. predators and prey (I know there won't be many predators) or they can find another way of grouping them. What's your learning objective? Sorry if my ideas aren't helpful. I absolutely love Science and thought I'd try to help since people on here are always helping me out.

3. Thank you so much for your help. Your lesson sounds very well organised and I'm sure your students will enjoy it.

My learning objective is to use known information towards answering further enquiries, and to identify features of a minibeast towards narrowing its classification and identifying it.

I teach in the Czech Republic and our range of minibeasts means that our international students may not have seen them before.