1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insect/Bug fun cooking ideas for children

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SleighBelle, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Hello Cooking Gurus,
    I want to create some 'Bushtucker trial' food to tie in with my class' 'I'm a Celebrity' topic.
    So far, I've found ideas for bugs in soil (plastic cups, choc mousse 'mud' with hidden raisins and gummy worms, topped with crushed-choc-biscuit 'soil' sprinkled on top), caterpillars made out of 3 slices of banana glued together with peanut butter and cheese ants with noodles for legs.
    I was hoping to pick your brains to see if you have any other bright ideas. I'd like the children to make the food themselves- I have 37 Year 5/6s, no cooking area and limited support so they would have to be no-cook ideas ideally.
    Thank you!

2. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Hello Cooking Gurus,
    I want to create some 'Bushtucker trial' food to tie in with my class' 'I'm a Celebrity' topic.
    So far, I've found ideas for bugs in soil (plastic cups, choc mousse 'mud' with hidden raisins and gummy worms, topped with crushed-choc-biscuit 'soil' sprinkled on top), caterpillars made out of 3 slices of banana glued together with peanut butter and cheese ants with noodles for legs.
    I was hoping to pick your brains to see if you have any other bright ideas. I'd like the children to make the food themselves- I have 37 Year 5/6s, no cooking area and limited support so they would have to be no-cook ideas ideally.
    Thank you!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You could use fondant ie roll-out icing and food colours to create some bugs and beasties.
    Thin slices of carrot, courgette, cooked beetroot can be used, not sure what for as too much pain in face in the moment.
    Raw broccoli can be used to create trees and bushes, as can french beans, if you blanch them they become soft and could be used for snakes.
    Similarly cauliflower, use to create a surrounding, grass can be mustard and cress that they've grown.
    Cabbage used to make slippery grass or green areas.
    hope that helps

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, Beth, but I'd never agree to a child of mine eating such ****. I'd sooner they ate a nutritious witchety bug.

Or were you joking...?

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It was an activity on eating food that looked disgusting. (And explaining that some food tastes better than it looks....it was not my own teaching plan! - but it was fairly successful)
    I would have happily included insects!...but they were banned on H/S grounds...apparantly people with a shellfish allergy are likely to be allergic to insects too! (None of the group actually had a recorded shellfish allergy - but according to the risk assessment I wasn;t allowed to assume there wasn't an unrecorded allergy!)

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

chocolate drippings = poo?

could you have something set in jelly for a witchty bug

lychee for eyeballs?

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Inky, it probably wouldn't be edible after some playing around with it, but even if a child did eat any, they'd probably have no more than a teaspoonful, not much harm compared to the enjoyment of they'd get from playing with it.

8. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Did loads when did this as a topic few yrs ago with early years- we did english muffin pizzas with cheese arranged on top like a web with a black olive spider. We also had ants on celery! Another one was to use pretzel sticks as legs and stick them into marshmallows to make ants with all the body parts etc. Raisins poked onto a toothpick could pass for some kind of wichity bug I am sure!
    We also did frogs and lilypads- gummy sweet frog, on cream cheese that had been coloured blue spread on an English muffin.
    For ladybirds, we made basic biscuits, then iced them red and then used a writing icing pen to do black dots.
    Worms was spaghetti in cheesy marmite sauce. Am sure there was more, shall have a think for you!

9. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

<u>Don't</u> use the bee/peanut butter recipe! I too used this site when looking for activities and the bee one was just a disaster and all it did was make a huge sticky mess that the kids couldn't eat! IT may have been a slightly different recipe as my memory fails me, but the site certainly looks familiar.