1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Input KS1 results

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by plus, Jun 11, 2010.

1. I work in Leeds and have been told by the authority that when I input my assessments I can only input a level 3 if it is a 3b. Therefore all my 3cs must be input as 2as. I think this is not happening in other authorities. Please could you let me know what you do in your authority.

2. I work in Leeds and have been told by the authority that when I input my assessments I can only input a level 3 if it is a 3b. Therefore all my 3cs must be input as 2as. I think this is not happening in other authorities. Please could you let me know what you do in your authority.

3. If only there were other year 2 teachers with a conscience. I teach year 3 in a junior school and believe me making progress with a child I get new to our school recorded as level 3 (3b) is a nightmare. For them to achieve only 3A by the end of year 3 would be considered unsatisfactory progress. The difference between 2A and 3B is so massive using the APP grids.
    Saying that I have been to year 2 moderation courses where they have insisted that a child who just is just scraping level 3 deserves level 3. What can we do?
    In my opinion a 3C must be recorded as a 3C when you send records up to the next year group, NOT level 3 meaning 3B. (reporting KS1 levels acknowledged as L3)
    I thought APP was supposed to iron out all these differences.

I would be intereseted to hear the opinion of other year 2 and 3 teachers.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

most of the inputs in our LEA wouldnt take a sublevel in any case.

5. As a year 2 teacher, deputy and assessment leadera child can be a 3C and does not have to be a 3b or a 2a. This advice comes from LA and SIP as well.

6. If you look at the value added technical information from the DCFS, you will see that a level 3 at KS1 is assigned an APS of 21. A 2B is assigned an APS of 15, 2A as 17 so 21 would therefore equate to a 3B. It is this that your schools Value Added is calculated from. If a yr 2 child is not a secure L3B, do not give them a L3!!!

7. I get one level 3 each year who I consider is actually 3B - not 6 or 7!

Completely agree
    Thankyou Jackie3

8. From plus
    Put my Leve 3cs in as Level 3s after head spoke to local authority and they backed down. Just as well I did as Ofsted in this week, and if I had included 3cs as 2s would have been below national average. Don't tell me that reading results nationally of over 20% Level 3s were all 3bs and above. I don't believe it. Where is the consistency? If we are all doing things differently do these figures really mean anything at all?

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

What do they mean?
    Presumably 3c and 3b mean that a child who was level 2 about a year ago is still level 2 but you don't want to admit it for some reason. (Actually, it's perfectly OK for a child to be on the same level for a year or more.) The cs and bs are just assessment euphemisms.
    The figures should mean something - and the same anywhere as TA - because the descriptions for level 2 and 3 are there in the national curiculum.
    But the letters could mean anything or nothing.

10. I'm writing this in hindsight of course but we have "reaped the benefits" of acting on advice (in June) from the borough consultant for maths, (the literacy consultants have only just mentioned it), that a level 3 submitted would be interpreted and published as a 3B. The scary statistic that says we have 0% level 3 in maths and that makes me look like a right charlie.
    As it has been said, this is not new, and doesn't really affect VA so why the panic now?