1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

innovative year one planning?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by polly cudby, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi...
    About to start a new job in january in a year one class. Wanting to teach and plan in a 'free-flow' child led, continuos provision type setting. Got a great classroom and ajoining outdoor space, but this would all be new for me and the school. Its currently very much whole class teaching/group work/play if time/ seperate literacy and numeracy.
    Anyone doing continuos provision style in year one?
    Any tips?
    How do i get started!! How can i not miss any objectives?
    How can i persuade my headteacher to go with such a 'radical' idea!!!!?
    help!
    [thanks]
    xxx

2. Hi...
    About to start a new job in january in a year one class. Wanting to teach and plan in a 'free-flow' child led, continuos provision type setting. Got a great classroom and ajoining outdoor space, but this would all be new for me and the school. Its currently very much whole class teaching/group work/play if time/ seperate literacy and numeracy.
    Anyone doing continuos provision style in year one?
    Any tips?
    How do i get started!! How can i not miss any objectives?
    How can i persuade my headteacher to go with such a 'radical' idea!!!!?
    help!
    [thanks]
    xxx

3. I teach a free flow style year 1 and it continues a little into round-robin style tasks in Y2. Ofsted came during the Summer term and graded us as outstanding...even with full free flow noted on all plans after every whole class carpet session...as long as you are tailoring the learning and meeting every National Curriculum (or whatever the new curriculum brings) objective there is no better way to meet the needs of such little ones. The children adore choosing their own themes and guiding there own learning, and the extra adult time means that you can really help the lower ability and really push the upper end. As long as you have TA support there's no way you won't meet the needs of your class. I'll message you some planning - just let me know your address :0)
    Hope it helps.

4. BestIcanbe,
    Can I ask what part of the country you are in? I am moving towards this as KS1 co-ordinator at a new school but would like partner teacher to see this in action as she is more KS2 trained. She apparently fails to see how this type of teaching works - even though it has worked for me in the past and clearly works for others if you were graded outstanding! I have modelled sessions and given planning examples and advice but would like her to see it in practise elsewhere!

5. Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of the planning too? Currently in year 1 and experimenting with ways of working to best meet the needs of the children. Would really appreciate it.
    fiona9633@hotmail.com x x

6. Thank you.....sounds spot on.
    pollyandco@hotmial.com
    Our head is fairly supportive of the idea but we are currently graded good with outstanding features, and he is desperate to get us to outstanding, so doesnt want to risk yr 1 not acheiving good levels.
    We have been asked to trial 'chris quigley' SOW which looks good, and appears to lend itself to this range of EYSF style activities etc.
    BESTICANBE, a copy of your plans would be fab, thank you. Interested to see how you do it! do you teach lit and numeracy seperatly as well as 'themes'?
    Dont suppose you are anywhere near cumbria? !!! Would love to come and watch such teaching 'in the flesh'
    polly
    xxx

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hello
    I teach year 1 and use continuous provision. It's not totally child led though. We have half termly topics which are discussed with the children and they suggest what they would like to learn about/find out about within the topic. However a continuous provision is child initiated and led by them (with the exception of challenges).
    I do very little whole class teaching as the children are all at different stages in english and maths especially so whole class sessions aren't appropriate at the moment. I run englisha nd maths side by side during the morning so each group will get a maths session and each will get an english session. Whilst the groups are working (just 2 at any one time) the rest of the class are involved in child initiated learning outdoors and in the areas of provision - I don't direct children during this time, they can go/do whatever they want. There are sometimes challenges to complete in some of the areas but I don't make them do them, they can if they want (most choose to do them though!) There is usually a third adult who is in the outdoors area.
    I don't follow the literacy and numeracy framework but work from the NC and what the children need, linking it in with the topic. We use Chris Quigley to plan our topic work in the afternoons. When we first started I got together with the year 2 teacher and we made sure that between us we were covering the KS1 NC.
    Some of my old planning is in resources but if you want me to e-mail you some newer planning let me know.

8. Thanks for the reply! It may sound like a silly Q, but are we allowed to 'not use the nat literacy framework?
    And ...have you recent ofsted feedback on such a style of year one teaching?
    I am desperate to change the way our year one is taught, but am not totally sure of what i am doing! Trying to get my head around things such as where to fit in phonics/handwriting/lit/numeracy/science/ RE/ and PE as well as topic time [which are currently all meant to be done separatly] seems impossible!!
    How do you ensure children all do eough lit and num? Do you make them do so many activities each day? And....what about assessment?!
    [sorry for so many Qs!]

9. I am really interested in this as I am in year 1 and am struggling to get my head around the CP side.

BestIcanbe I believe I have received an email from you before about how you run your class - would love to see your plans.
    kirsty.game@gmail.com

As ks1 coordinator I really want this to work but I feel that as this is my first year in YR1 I'm learning the ropes. I want to get this right!!

What sort of challenges do you set when the children go off on their own?

And I am completely understanding you polly cudby

10. Hello

I am currently in year one. Am an experienced teacher and frequently taught in year one but always want to refresh my practise. Am very keen to find out more about your full free flow in year one. Many thanks