1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Innovative lesson ideas

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Not sure about the most interesting thing, but I reckon focussing on an innovative thing that the students do (which is what you are saying!) is somewhere to go.

At the moment I've a determined focus on using blogs or diaries. We have a great focus on reading, but less so on writing. Trying to use rafeki to get them out to a wider audience, but haven't find that website as useful as perhaps I hoped.Has anyone used rafeki or blogs with any success I wonder?

2. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

I've taught "writing instructions" to year 7 by bringing in a toaster and making toast. They have to watch and then write down the instructions of exactly what I do. Discussion of use of imperatives etc. etc. Then I get them to eat the toast and they have to describe the sensations of eating toast, using the five senses, (and I don't allow "toasty" or "buttery" for taste!) Leads to an exploration of the differences between different types of writing.
    Six years later, sixth form students come up to me and tell me they still remember the lesson!

3. http://www.newmanschool.co.uk/fieldtrap/ Simples. ;-)

4. pianopete

pianopete New commenter

Sounds like a great idea! Sadly toasters are now banned in our school due to several false fire alarms... suppose I could ask to borrow a Food Tech room for the lesson...

5. I have done something similar but have made a jam sandwich! All you need is a knife, butter, jam, bread and a plate. I get them to tell me how to make it but take everything literally (eg. when they say 'put the knife in the butter', I literally stab it through the lid.) It's great to emphasise the important of listening carefully to instructions.

6. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Probably the 'dead body' lesson. Students came in to find their TA sprawled across the desk with various suspicious objects scattered around. They had to identify clues....wrote a whole SOW around it. Also found ten members of staff for students to interview in the mystery in a following lesson. Worked extremely well. Of course, the SOW was so specific to the school that I have never been able to reuse it. Ho hum.

7. Cool thread. I once did an interactive 'Who wants to be a millionaire game' with stations all over the room for students to run to. Super fun but not sure how much was learnt...