1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Initial/point of entry (?) assessment

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by busnae, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi, I am new to reception and wondered if anyone would mind sharing what they do for this and when, thanks in advance

2. hurny

hurny New commenter

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We don't do anything on entry, but make first updates to Eprofile at the end of the first half term. In this year's case, it's only 5 weeks, but I think still has given the children time to settle in.

4. thank you both for replies

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We have always allowed a settling in period (getting to know the child ) Doing assessments in the first week will give a very distorted picture - great if you want a low baseline....

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There is a wonderful video from New Zealand demonstrating "pointless" assessment.
    [​IMG] produced by Prof Margaret Carr
    The teacher is dressed head to foot in red carrying a clipboard and a bag containing red objects. She keeps selecting children and saying "what colour is ...?" Answer "red" "what colour is this?" "red" and she ticks the child's name on her clipboard.
    Sorry but reading a number of threads I get the impression that a number of people are considering similar assessments. Just ask yourself how valuable/essential is the knowledge that Damien knows the colour red and doesn't know the name of the colour purple...

7. Thanks for this - I had one crazy moment today when I thought that I should be assessing and writing things down and then the moment passed and i just spent time with the children instead, looking at the setting, using resources - so was very pleased to then read this relieved my sensible head took over!!!