1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Initial Assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cocopop77, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Wondering what sorts of assessments anyone else uses with their new class.
    Obviously, using APP and any written assessments I have levels for the children in literacy and numeracy, but I thought I'd like to do some sort of activities with small groups or individuals to assess their current abilities, while others did independant new to class activities.
    Does anyone have anything they have used successfully? I teach Year 5, but know I have some children working below level 2.

2. I do a writing assessment, which I use APP to level. I usually start from the level the previous teacher gave them.
    I will usually assess reading through Guided Reading, APP and an Optional SAT Reading assessment.
    They will do an Optional SATs Maths test and I will level that with the mark scheme and APP.
    We don't usually have to give the children's levels until the end of the first half term, so it gives 6-7 weeks for us to get to know them and what they can/can't do.