1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Initial activity first thing in the morning as children come in Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misssunshine84, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hi there
    My school has only recently moved towards having children come straight in on an morning rather than line up on the playground. So children come in from 8.45 -9 when the bell goes.
    Just after ideas for something to give them to do that is meaningful and doesnt need too much of my input so I'm free to talk to parents. I have Y1 children so something not too tricky ...we did handwriting for a bit last year but really that requires some teacher input at this stage then we practised tricky words on whiteboards but again this was tricky largely because we ran out of whiteboard pens !
    I like the idea of alternating a number activity one day then a tricky word activity another day perhaps something where they practise spelling tricky words?? as this is a real big issue for us.
    Thanks so much for any replies

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can they do things like pegs and pegboards? Or Lego? Or colouring? Or board games?

Things they can just get on with and put away easily at the end of the short time?