1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ingrowing Toe nails?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lelseydramaqueen, May 1, 2012.

1. Apologies if this is already on here somewhere....
    Someone told me last night that the only cure for in growing toe nails is to have them ripped out AND that they don't grow back!
    Please tell me this is not true [​IMG]

2. Apologies if this is already on here somewhere....
    Someone told me last night that the only cure for in growing toe nails is to have them ripped out AND that they don't grow back!
    Please tell me this is not true [​IMG]

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Don't be such a Drama Queen, Lelsey!

4. I cannae help it!!!!
    The thought of someone rippin yer toenails oot! Swoon..............

5. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I was born with ingrowing toenails. As a teenager I dropped something on one and it fell off, then grew back rather painfully. I had an operation to remove it and some of the surrounding flesh. I now have an odd shaped toe and a nail which instead of being flat, has three sides: two that grow straight up from the toe and one which goes along the top and joins to the other two sides.

6. I have what could be described as ingrowing toenails on both of my little toes (I personally don't think they are-they just grow sideways instead of upwards!) It's an inherited thing in my case-my grandmother on my dad's side had them too. I was offered an operation to remove both of them but turned it down as I didn't feel it was the best option for me personally.

7. Forgot to say that, like Paradoxicalgirly, my toenails have been like this since birth.

8. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

I had both sides of both big toes done for ingrown toenails (born with wide nails aparently)
    They were completely numb and they took out a thin slice down to the nail bed. it didnt hurt, although they were a trifle sore a few days later, it was really ok. Far preferable to the years of grief id had with them. Get em sorted, youll be well pleased xx

9. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Lesley, go to the chiropodist - they do the proceedure more gently than the Dr. (altho' the Dr. is over much quicker and you are all numbed)
    best advice [​IMG]
    Good luck hon!
    Joni x

10. Hi Joni

Hmmm I think I prefer being numb.....
    TGIF tomorrow...and the inspectors will be gone [​IMG]