1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ingredients for a good Christmas.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Dec 11, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

In response to the comment made about Christmas being 'a roast dinner on 1 day,' what are your 'ingredients?'

Mine would be............

1. FOOD. Before Christmas - I have to get myself a miniature ham, my own turkey (I do a personal Christmas dinner for myself before the day) , Twiglets, assorted nuts, Yule log, trifle etc etc, Celebrations chocolates etc

During Xmas Day with family the usual Xmas dinner!

Twixmas - whatever is on sale that's Christmassy, chocolates you were brought, leftover turkey etc.

Twixpiphany - Plenty of reduced Baileys cream that can always be found clogging up Tescos on Jan 3rd! To have with the last 2 packets of mince pies!

2. BOOZE! It is custom to buy in at least 1 spirit (say Baileys Chocolate) to enjoy with the usual beer and cider!

3. The Christmas Party - OK its work its cliché but it wouldn't be Christmas without it!

4. The Box Set - Because you need something to lie in bed until 10am watching on those Twixmas days!

5. The unofficial party - The drinks after the last day of work that MIGHT turn into a drunken club crawl come 2am Saturday!

6. NYE - Not everyones cup of tea but NYE is either a night of nibbles, board games and Jools Hootenanny with friends or a Happy Hardcore rave-up at Castle Donington with the hope of starting Jan 1st with a new girlfriend! Cue the first trains back home on NYD and not actually getting out of bed until 5pm!

7. Christmas Cinema - The family cheesy films and blockbusters pre the Big Day, the more epic family fayre on Boxing Day, the meatier epics for New years and then the grim but Oscar winners come Epiphany.

8. SNOW. No Christmas is complete without the white stuff SOMEWHERE in the holidays!

9. The long winter walks - With two weeks off and a car, long all daylighter walks along canals/hills beckon.

10. Family - Ultimately (for the not very or non religious) its about catching up with loved ones.

Have I missed any of your Top Ten?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

An "absent friends" toast at 11am. Has to be done.

rachel_g41 likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

A pile of new books to read.
    The scent of pine.
    Champagne in the morning.
    No traffic noise all day.

rachel_g41 likes this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Time to relax together. Nothing to worry about except getting the dogs out for a walk, special seasonal nosh and catching all the bits on TV that we want to see.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

On The Day:
    Cold bright weather but no snow.
    Family healthy and in good moods.
    Lunch finished in time to get a brisk walk in before it's too dark.
    All the cooking goes smoothly.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Alcohol... lots of alcohol...

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't like that these days. I do like nice drinks at various points through the day - it's about the only time I ever bother with pudding wine, for example - but not too much overall.

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

An elegant sufficiency of good food, fine wines (or similar) and good company

I can manage the food and the wines and will be keeping my own company so I have it well-sorted ;)

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Cinema/ meal/ panto on christmas eve with my children and OH in the afternoon, timed to finish when it has gone dark and it feels Christmassy.
    Afternoon films watching as a whole family wrapped in blankets, with chocolate and baileys.
    Extended family and friends and their families meeting for a couple of hours in the pub on Christmas Day (small village where most people know each other)

10. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Good food - with plenty of leftovers for a no-cooking Boxing day
    Good wine - champagne in the morning
    A pile of new books to read
    Snow - or, if that's not available, a bright cold sunny day. Hate mild wet Christmases
    A decent walk in the afternoon
    Family

aspensquiver and BelleDuJour like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Lots of money.

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Yes, I missed 'a good book' on my list!

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I feel like the only one who doesn't associate Christmas with alcohol.

14. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I don't either. There will be 2 teetotalers, 2 children and 4 very light drinkers here so not much alcohol consumed at all.

My vital ingredients are nice food, nice company and at least one silly game of charades.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm with Cosmos!

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Being around family.
    Not having to do anything in particular.
    Nice walks if the weather's ok
    Snuggling up with good films / good company / good books

As for alcohol and food, we've always been fairly moderate at Christmas I think. I like ginger wine (a legacy of childhood) on Christmas Eve, fizz (spanish cava) on Christmas morning but other than that it's just a glass of wine with the meal.

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Buck's Fizz and smoked salmon for breakfast, no lunch, Christmas dinner about 6ish, all home made.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't drink alcohol. I associate it with lights, the smell of pine needles and the sound of carols.

aspensquiver and RedQuilt like this.