1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informing the school of pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by zone, Jun 29, 2012.

1. While I know you aren't obliged to inform your employer until quite a way into pregnancy, I was planning to tell my Head quite early on. Only so that if I suffer bad morning sickness or there are other risk issues, he will be aware of the situation.
    However, I don't really want anyone else in the school to know and this would include parent governors and teacher governors. Is it unreasonable of me to tell the Head but request him not to tell these governors? I know that he might have to discuss it with the governors with regard to covering my maternity leave eventually but can i ask to have it not discussed with the teacher and parent ones for a period of time?
    I don't really want parent governors telling the children and I don't want the teacher governors to know because one of them is a bit of a gossip and I'm not entirely sure I trust her.
    If the Head does have to tell them, are they bound by confidentiality and would there be consequences for them spreading the news?

2. If you formally inform the head by letter, then I think they will inform governors, etc. However, if you ask to speak to head confidentially and tell them you want it to go no further, but are letting them know out of courtesy in case of illness or appointments, I don't see there being a problem. Congratulations by the way!

3. Congratulations. Don't want to sound like a doom monger but I told my head at about 7 weeks for the reasons you've outlined and was promised it would go no further until I was ready. Headteacher told the office manager so they could put risk assessment in place, office manager promptly outed me in the staff room! This meant the whole school knew I was pregnant well before I was ready. None of it should have happened and I recieved lots of baby things and flowers as an apology but it meant I could never share my own happy news with people.

What I'm trying to say in a rambling way is that it shouldn't get out but once you have told one person (even your head) exciting news finds a way of getting around. Next time I won't tell anyone at work until I am happy if the whole school knows.

4. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

That's awful! You must have been livid! I remember reading somethign like this before, so if you posted on here when it happened, i may well have commented on it at the time.

5. Duvetdays, that is terrible and is exactly the sort of thing I am concerned about.
    For me there's a twofold reason for not wanting it to get out - first of all when it's early days you don't want everyone to know because so many things can go wrong, but secondly as you say, it's your news. I am only going to have one child so I want to be able to tell people when I want, it's the only time I will get to do that.
    I won't even tell the stepchildren because I want to tell my in law family myself rather than have the kids telling their cousins and it getting out that way. This is my news and I want to tell it when I'm ready.
    Antoniou, I agree with you in principle, that's how it should work. I suppose I just don't trust my head enough. He's not known for his discretion.
    Thanks for the input guys.

6. If your head is a gossip, then I definitely wouldn't tell. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

And even if the head is discreet. He said he'd have to inform deputy because she does the cover etc, and I've just found out she's told at least one member of staff and can't see the problem with that. If I could play this again I wouldn't tell the head until 20 weeks. Legally you have to tell by week 25 I think.