1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Information!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by neli, Aug 31, 2015.

1. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I've read a few different lists of questions which should be asked on the first day of Supply. Yesterday, I was reading one of the Union's lists and it was the longest yet, must have been 50 questions. Do people honestly ask for so much information at the beginning of each day? I just can't imagine another Teacher wanting to spend half an hour with me answering all my questions when she needs to prepare for her own lessons. I realise we need the basics but, these lists seem excessive.

Also, do people really ask the Agency how much they will be being paid every time they are offered a job? I thought you just agreed a rate when you started and that was what you would be paid.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi neli

You are right about limited time in the morning. Just ask about what you feel you must know. Usually schools will give you a pack or booklet with the essentials things like times of life lessons and behaviour policy etc. If you are working in primary ensure you know what they expect you to mark before you leave. Sometimes you will have a TA who will know about most things and the routines.

Agree a daily rate with your agency and use that for day to day supply. If you have to travel further than you normally do, ask for extra. If you do any work where you have to plan and mark ask for a higher daily rate. If you are working in very challenging schools you may wish to ask for a higher daily rate.

3. neli

Thanks Pepper, good advice. Especially the part about when to ask for a higher rate. I wouldn't have thought of that.

4. You can ask for a higher rate but it doesn't mean you'll get it. I've been on the same rate for 5 years now and don't get anything extra if I do a long term contract or a challenging school or longer to travel etc. Having said that I always get paid promptly, get plenty of work and am generally treated well by my agency.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Good points roseangel. Just because you ask for a higher rate does not mean you will get it. I would still ask though. If people are planning and marking on long term placements then they should get a higher daily rate. Whether they get it or not is another matter. It gets to the point where if on a long term placement if you work extra hours planning and marking people would be as well off as at aldi. On supply after taxes I bring home about 100 pounds each day but I might be teaching 100 students or more in one day. There is no way I would teach 100 students for less.

6. neli

roseangels, the 3 agencies I have spoken to all said themselves they pay more for long term. Perhaps you get such a good rate to begin with they can't give you more :)

It was the challenging schools or travel that Pepper mentioned which interested me as I hadn't really thought of that. One Agency did mutter something to do with helping out with travel costs although I think the guy was hoping I would forget that as it was so quick and I had until Pepper mentioned it :)

7. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

The amount of questions seems well excessive to me. And yes agencies seem to have a way of mentioning quickly things they would rather you forget.