1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

information texts year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Mar 18, 2009.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I am completely baffled about what an information text actually is and will be planning this for next week. I thought it was the same thing as an explanation text but they are two separate units and the objectives don't make it much clearer.
    What is one?
    What are the features?
    What do they look like, get set out like?
    Does anyone have any examples they could share with me!
    Help!

Thanks in advance. I won't be on a few days as changing internet providor but thank you.

2. I have taught information texts and am due to explanation texts - to year 4.

As far as I am aware, explanation texts are about the "when where how." Information texts are very similar though!!
    Getting the children to think about explaining something real is often a good start when considering planning explanation texts. We are getting a new classroom built for example, so I am going to get them to explain verbally & written why we need a new classroom!

Hope this helps (a little!) x x

3. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

Hey,

Hopefully this will make sense!! I am only an NQT so my advice may not be great!

We did our explanation texts about recycling. This worked because it explained how a process worked which I think is the main thing for it be an explanation.
    We have just finished information texts and I am really pleased with the children's final outcomes. I linked it to our topic of India and the children had to first of all, on an A3 sheet of paper, design a double page spread from a book about the world, focussing their page on india. It worked really well and I'm very pleased with what they produced!
    I also then got them to produce a page for a class book. I split this into different topics such as fashion, transport, food etc and each pair produced a page. The book is going in the school library so I'm very excited! All the other staff were very impressed!
    We did a lot of work on the features and layout of the page.
    Things like:
    Main heading
    Subheadings
    glossary
    did you know boxes
    where to place images and captions on the page.

Was a lovely unit and the book is fantastic. It has a contents and index, a glossary which contains all the words in bold throughout the book. They managed to organise it all themselves, so was very proud of them!

4. The distinction I have been making is:
    Information Texts - give facts on a subject. Usually have subheadings to organise information and diagrams or illustrations.e.g. What a volcano is.
    Explanation Texts - explain a process or event. Tends to have a sequence of paragraphs that may or may not be numbered. Uses lots of causal connectives to explain how/why. Often has diagrams. e.g. How a volcano erupts.
    Hope that helps
    giggle. xx

5. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

I'd agree with what's been said so far:
    to inform - to identify the what...
    to describe - inform with more detail
    to explain - as above but includes the HOW (eg something works)
    in reality, there will be some overlap between the units, after all, during an assessment we are hardly going ot stop a child from explaining something!! we use same features for both.

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Thanks. Sounds like a tricky one. I think I might do the dilemma unit first as I'm struggling to think of a topic I could do for the information texts. I will save this thread for when I do this unit. Thanks.

7. Hi i just read the post about your class book, it sounds wonderful. I'm an nqt and India is also my topic. I was wondering if you could give me any more details about your planning.
    Thanks

8. Hi there, I'm a student in year 4 doing a topic on India and also liking it to information text. I was wondering if you had any further information, resources etc on this topic.
    I will probably be observed for this aswell, i have just started information texts before the holiday, where children have been shown about information texts books on white board we looked at the key features and i have allocated children to work in pairs to research an area using the internet with the websites supplied by myself for safety. i have a couple of books which i borrowed from the local library so i don't have enought books to go round the class. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

9. Hi there, I'm a student in year 4 doing a topic on India and also liking it to information text. I was wondering if you had any further information, resources etc on this topic.
    I will probably be observed for this aswell, i have just started information texts before the holiday, where children have been shown about information texts books on white board we looked at the key features and i have allocated children to work in pairs to research an area using the internet with the websites supplied by myself for safety. i have a couple of books which i borrowed from the local library so i don't have enought books to go round the class. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

10. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

11. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

The above are some of my resource links. Hope helpful.

12. Hi, thanks alot for the links and sharing your work!!

13. Hi there, I know that this is a really old post, but I am in the same sticky situation.

I am in year 4 teaching info text and India. I would really like to use your resources but the link is no longer valid. I was wondering if you could repost them? Many thanks