1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

information please re a death

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jonkers, Dec 31, 2010.

1. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Sory to hear of your cousin's demise. Cheapest option for burial is a cardboard coffin and a burial in the garden. Not, as some think, illegal, but some might not be happy about leaving loved ones behind when they move house. Other option is a "woodland burial" but some land owners have jumped on the "natural burial" bandwagon and turned this into an expensive option. I have seen a brochure where a "hand woven willow basket" has cost more than double an "oak veneer" casket from your bog standard high street funeral director.
    Funeral directors will want to pump her full of embalming fluids. Avoid at all cost, it is completely unnecessary unless you are planning on keeping the deceased in a warm place for several days. If your cousin is in the cold mortuary, embalming, is again, unnecessary.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

hanks for the info jonkers
    Seems they have refered her death to a coroner for the moment.so no idea how long before the body is released and so the rest of the grieving can begin.
    Thank yu everyone for your concerns........but il let you know what happens.......its a pain in the ar se when you cant be there to help.

3. If there has to be a post-mortem it can be very quickly done.

4. oldsomeman

well it might but il have to wait till hear.depends i suppose on what he the corener decides!

5. Sorry to hear that Oldy - will catch you via other methods later.
    As others have mentioned Social Services do a payment in some cases. Also worth noting - depending on family background and wishes but a C of E burial is actually cheaper than a cremation where I am!

6. oldsomeman

I would just like to add a footnote to this post
    The funeral of my aunt's daughter was last Tuesday and the event is over...sadly not the grieving for the husband and children left behind.

Thank you all for your advice which i did pass on to her and it is being sorted by the funeral director and the Social.
    Many friends helped out up there and one woman who kindly provided a small after funeral meal in her pub.Its amazing how kinfness still abounds in out often cruel world.
    The care of the children is yet to be sorted, but the elder daughter is ready to take them on as their full time carer....which means committing her life to 2 babies when she is only 25 herself......again such selfless love for others..........i stand and look on in awe!

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Indeed oldsomeman ... sometimes people are just inspiring.