1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Information on L2 BTEC Applied Science and performance measures

Discussion in 'Science' started by Edexcelscienceteam, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Edexcelscienceteam

Edexcelscienceteam New commenter

We've had confirmation that the Next Generation BTEC in Science counts for performance measures in the following way:
    BTEC in Principles of Applied Science - counts as equivalent to 1 GCSE
    BTEC in Application of Science - counts as equivalent to 1 GCSE
    Candidates who take both these BTECs can count them for 2 GCSEs (1 each), under the proviso that a maximum of 2 non-GCSE subjects only can be counted for performance measures.

Kathryn
    Edexcel science team

2. Orion

Orion New commenter

Hi,
    So when you say "next generation" are they available for study in 2012-13 for the Principles qualification?
    Also do they count for Ebac counting purposes or just as a GCSE in the overal haul. You seem to say they do with rule of max 2 voc in haul.
    Thanks

3. Edexcelscienceteam

Edexcelscienceteam New commenter

Yes, they are available for study in 2012-13. Please note though, the first external assessment is in June 2013.
    And no, vocational qualifications are not included in the Ebacc measure. However, the BTEC L2 Applied Science 'Principles' and 'Applications' qualifications can count as 2 towards the 5 A* to C measure.
    Kathryn

4. I am new to teaching BTEC L2 Applied Science in September. I've been looking for resources here on TES but cannot find anything relevant . Am I looking in the right place? Does BTEC have its own corner somewhere?