1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal visits - how important?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Flyguy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I am currently considering relocating. I am therefore looking to apply for another deputy position in different area. Due to the distance, it is very difficult to make an informal visit before applying as it would need a day out of school rather than the odd hour here or there.
    How likely is it that this will stand in my way? Would heads see it as a sign of lacking effort or will they understand? Also, would it be acceptable to ask for a telephone conversation with the head in the event that I cannot visit before applying?

2. I am currently considering relocating. I am therefore looking to apply for another deputy position in different area. Due to the distance, it is very difficult to make an informal visit before applying as it would need a day out of school rather than the odd hour here or there.
    How likely is it that this will stand in my way? Would heads see it as a sign of lacking effort or will they understand? Also, would it be acceptable to ask for a telephone conversation with the head in the event that I cannot visit before applying?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I would call the head and explain. Dht is such a crucial role, you need to know you're on the same wavelength as the head- otherwise it's nightmare time!
    Explain that, much as you'd like to visit, it isn't feasible. But you'd like to ask a few questions about the position.
    Choose your questions wisely and you can find out a lot!
    I had two different candidates who did this last year. One was shortlisted, one wasn't. That was down to the strength of the application. But wading through 70+ applicants with the governors, I did remember the ones who had called. It didn't influence our decision but I'm sure it influenced their decision to apply. Remember it's s two way street!
    Good luck.

4. Thanks for your reply curlygirly - that is very useful!