1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal visit when applying for headship

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Tracy Blue, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I am going to look round a school with a view to applying for the head's position. I am already acting head at the school i work at.
    Any advice on the sorts of questions I should ask? I don't want to seem too pushy/critical/nosey etc.

Thanks

2. It is obvious but, ask all the questions you need, to guide your decision as to whether or not.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My main bit of advice: keep your hands in your pocket.
    Otherwise you will just automatically reach down and pick up litter, as you do in your own school, and nothing is ruder than doing that in someone else's school.
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

God that's such a headteacher trait.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Good advice. People often ask 'What questions should I ask?', when the answer is clearly 'Those to which the answer is not obvious and to which you need an answer at that time'.
    Who's showing you round anyway? It's probably the case that the person(s) concerned will have no influence on the decision making, so whether you ask no questions or a thousand will be irrelevant to how 'pushy' you seem.
    I'll add that for my second headship we spent a day in the school before the interviews in the company of the outgoing head and senior team, none of whom was asked their opinions by rhe governing body panel; however, after I was appointed they said that what made me stand out to them was that I didn't say much, but was clearly doing a lot of looking, watching and listening.