1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal Support Plan process...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TEA2111, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

What should the process leading up to a teacher being placed on an ISP look like? In other words, can a teacher who has had no observations or conversations with SMT prior to an ISP be placed on one?

Thank you.

2. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

All SMT need to place someone on one is at best one observation that didn't go well (whatever that means) or maybe not even this - one meeting about a pupil who doesn't feel 'comfortable' in your class or one look at a few books out of the hundreds you have to mark that aren't littered in different coloured pens can prompt one.

Basically you can be placed on one at any time. Lots of the 'concerns' they will have about you are cleverly hidden from you and not communicated to you therefore you couldn't do anything about it.

3. TEA2111

Wow @Progressnerd …. it would seem that teachers have little protection against a SMT that are out to get them without just cause.

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Bingo!

lardylegs, BetterNow, TEA2111 and 3 others like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agree with @Progressnerd that such happens but there are nicer SLT out there and some less-than-nice whom recruitment/retention problems have convinced that they need to make the most of what they've got. So an ISP isn't guaranteed to end with "Jump or be pushed", I've been supportively 'supported' in the past and seen it as a union rep before now.

To answer the OPs question, it depends on the schools Capability Policy (or maybe PM can inform) but there will be something in there vague enough so the SLT doesn't have to lie, should justification be required.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

There should be a policy which makes it clear when "Informal Support" is a deemed appropriate at your school. You should access the relevant document and check the policy is being followed in your case. Involve your school Union Rep if you feel you are being unjustly treated. If there is no Rep in your school involve the Union at Regional level. If you are not in a Union you have no redress and you will have to rely on the benevolence or otherwise of your SLT.

7. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

It,s all about the Money £££!

lardylegs and BetterNow like this.
  8. TEA2111

Another question..... once a teacher is on an ISP, who conducts the 'meetings' with the teacher? Must it be line manager or can it be anyone Head decides?

9. TEA2111

Sorry...another question: when are these meetings about ISP supposed to take place?

10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

All the information should be in the policy document. Schools have varying systems so no outsider can give you a definitive answer.

JohnJCazorla and TEA2111 like this.
  11. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Usually the chief bully SLT member. Observations might be done jointly with HOD too.

12. TEA2111

Should I be okay with meetings and observations with someone who is not a SLT member? And should these meetings be in my lunch? or my PPA? or after school?

13. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Again the policy should reveal this but I suspect that whoever is conducting it is acting on behalf of the HT and if he sees fit to delegate this task to the Dinner Lady then that is what will happen. The policy might state who can conduct these.

Your PPA and lunch are definitely sacrosanct so avoid 'volunteering' to meet in those times. After school is more problematic with directed time but i'm sure you can find urgent childcare issues (or whatever) to leave at the earliest possible moment. So that means cover will have to be found to carry out these meetings which will not go down well.

Easy for me to say, from behind an anonymous keyboard. Get your union involved and you will be able to get quality advice from much more knowledge than you can reveal here.

TEA2111 likes this.