1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal Meeting with Headteacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TalkingTeacher92252, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Dashbog5150

Dashbog5150 New commenter

I can't believe that anyone could be positive about Green Trees 123's post. After over thirty years teaching experience, I have been well placed to observe the snidey, underhand tactics of such tin pot dictators, who exult in giving those 'beneath them' sleepless nights. I've seen too many cases like this and been the victim of them myself. Please allow me to posit a few questions which may better explain the reasons for their risible antics...
    1. Do you have a higher academic qualification? (An MA to their BA perhaps?)
    2. Is this head struggling to control some other aspect of their role? Are they trying to send a message to another party to intimidate them also?
    3. Have they filled up their over large SLT
    with dumb bootlickers? (This is SO common!)
    4. Are they actually a qualified teacher?
    Do they have a teaching timetable? If so, what are their results like?
    5. Has your own inspiring professional practice/ popularity been a source of irritation to them?

Thankfully, I know a truly excellent headteacher who runs a school with virtually zero staff turnover. And his philosophy is 'If you're on my team, then my job is to serve, facilitate and encourage you to be the very best you can be' He would NEVER approve of a jobsworth like your 'head'! I'd take your services elsewhere immediately.

2. Morgelyn

Morgelyn New commenter

Exactly- that’s how it should be done. Many years ago, when in a leading role, my philosophy for effective management was to enable staff to be their best- through empathy, encouragement and old -fashioned support. At least, it’s what I strived for! Of course, I tried to model the great heads I’d worked for.

That was when support had a positive meaning, not the horrid, stress-inducing word it has become.

The use of emotional intelligence in leadership seems nowadays to be a rarity. Staff turnover says it all really: the higher it is, the greater to extent of bullying ****s at the top.