1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal Meeting with Headteacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TalkingTeacher92252, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

sounds intimidating and exhausting, Well done you, for not letting it get you down! tomorrow first thing I expect to find you draped suggestively over the photocopier singing football chants!

Daveh1981, install, tonymars and 2 others like this.
  2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Pleased it was ok ish. And thank goodness you have an escape route already.
    In your position, I would still contact my union (regional office) just to flag this up and have a brief discussion, so they have it ‘on their books’ Explain what has happened and the outcome ie general unsubstantiated allegations/concerns, new targets - why?and based on what? etc.

Meanwhile, I would a) start a log of what has happened / been said so far
    and b) keep a log of anything even vaguely relevant from now on.

You can be assured that they have been and will be doing this.

I would do it as a table (on your home computer) eg
    Date/time: What happened /was was said :By whom :Where:How it made you feel .

You’ll probably never need it but the whole thing seems weird.

Just a couple of terms to go?

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Well, it does sound pretty tough, but you appear to have managed well. Good for you. Head down, count the weeks, tell the union. Good luck!

Caro D, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. GreenTrees123

GreenTrees123 Occasional commenter

I think your headteacher has acted very well here. Target-setting is a great way to deal with any concerns that have been raised, as it sets out clearly for both parties where the opportunities for development are, and a clear timescale for them.

I'd steer clear of contacting unions at this stage. As a headteacher, I like to see staff members being co-operative and open to feedback and improvement. Your head has given you a clear pathway for development, and I think it'd be best for you to just stick with the programme.

5. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

I think that you might be totally missing the point here. The point of a union is to provide support - not just in a professional, these-are-the-rules-way, but also emotionally. This sounds like a very stressful situation to be in for the OP and there's nothing wrong with them asking for support if you need them.

6. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you! (With thanks to Mandy Rice-Davis!)

7. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

HT sounds tricksy and...

... it was mainly said that my morning routines were not done in the way in which she would do them ...

and an insecure creep. In my humble experience this sort of rubbish is quite common among HTs.

I have heard that, as informal capability must first be gone through before formal capability, some heads try to disguise the fact that the first stage is happening by calling it "support plan" or "coaching plan."

I don't understand why you told your HT you were leaving so long before the end of the year - you didn't have to, Maybe you had the idea that you were somehow doing the best for your current school, by giving them the maximum time to find a replacement. I might be a cynical old dog, but I think that the very idea that a HT would give a monkey's about any departing member of staff really is naïve. It could even be that the HT is narked because soon she will no longer have any power over you.

8. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Well done. You sound like you are a conscientious, caring person who has handled the meeting well. All the very best for your remaining time there.

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@TalkingTeacher92252: I am sorry to hear you were subjected to an hour unsubstantiated criticism. Being told that you are not doing something the way someone else would do is one of the most useless comments ever. All the Head has done is putting you on notice that she has her eye on you.

10. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

11. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Winding us up? Surely not serious?

Caro D, suzuki1690, Daveh1981 and 5 others like this.
  12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Get them to tell you the one about 'transitioning' teachers out of employment...

Piscean1, Morgelyn, ms honey and 4 others like this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you really think that teachers should be dissuaded from contacting their unions during times of difficulty or distress, then if you ever have a complaint or investigation launched against you, before you pick up the phone to ASCL/NAHT, just remember what you've posted. After all, that would look uncooperative, right?

14. lizziescat

I’m assuming @GreenTrees123 has never contacted HR or his professional association, the LA, or other legal advice etc. about a matter in his/her school - that would surely suggest they don’t know how to do their job or that they are panicking or that they are trying to hound out a teacher or even that they are uncooperative.

Couldn’t possibly be that (as advised to OP) that clarification regarding law, and other issues or personal support could be helpful.

Yup it’s a wind up ( or, at least I hope it is. The excellent headteachers I’ve known actively encouraged staff to seek guidance, clarification, support etc from their union)

15. letap

letap Occasional commenter

If this is a wind up, then it really is in poor taste - especially when levelled at distressed posters in workplace dilemmas. As a member of the human race, I like to see headteachers being co-operative and open to feedback and improvement - to ensure that there is a duty of care to both students and STAFF.

16. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Simply appalling.

17. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Your head has held a lengthy meeting stating that they will support you and chat again before Christmas. You’re not saying exactly what these improvements are, for obvious reasons, but I would urge you not to ignore what your head wants you to do. If you co-operate and make the changes they want then hopefully you’ll be left alone. If you continue as you are, you might find that ‘chat’ in December ends with the suggestion of formal capability in January. At that point you might find yourself with the choice of leaving with paid notice period to avoid formal procedures. Yes, this might have been triggered by knowing that you are going in 2020 anyway but you won’t want to lose your job early. I hope I’m wrong but i think you should be very aware of the possibility.

18. thebookyouwish

thebookyouwish New commenter

Sounds very stressful and I think you are handling it with good grace.

A different person with a job offer secured in writing might well be tempted to have some time off with the stress of it all.

Or you might decide to kick up a huge fuss via the union.

This is why I don't see what they hope to achieve with this? You've got much less incentive to play along with their games than someone who doesn't have an escape route.

This will pass. It is temporary. Smile and nod, smile and nod.

Daveh1981, agathamorse and install like this.
  19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Are the targets reasonable? If not, talk to your union. Being targeted when they know you're leaving is the opposite of what normally occurs, leaving often stops this sort of thing.

20. lizziescat

I’m not sure who has suggested this.
    Discussing the situation with the union is not ‘kicking up a fuss’.
    The HT doesn’t need to know the union has been contacted. Contrary to assumptions, my experience is that unions do not go in ‘all guns blazing’. They can give behind the scenes support and advice eg cooperate with HT and see how it goes.
    I’ve even known unions agree with HT and agree that it is best if a teacher does not continue in the profession (of course I’m not suggesting this is the case for op).
    Unions have several levels of ‘intervention’ and that often starts with a quiet chat to gain their expert advice