1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal Meeting with Headteacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TalkingTeacher92252, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

So an informal meeting with you could end up with a member of staff being managed out? That's rather a big jump from an informal meeting isn't it? Bodes well for a happy working environment and a happy school.

2. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

GreenTrees123. The style of those posts reminds me of another poster....head of department...could it be? Disappeared as I recall

notreallyme75 likes this.
  3. TalkingTeacher92252

TalkingTeacher92252 New commenter

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your replies; it has helped massively! I have my meeting tomorrow and all of your comments have helped me to prepare. I’m trying not to worry about it but the biggest fear for myself is being put on Informal Capability procedures. I don’t want this to have any effect on my new role in September.

4. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Correction. I think the poster from a while ago was a deputy .

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I was thinking exactly the same. Perhaps related to calf123.

Morgelyn, notreallyme75 and meggyd like this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Unless the 'problem' with his/her prep is that they only arrive at the time they are supposed to? I've heard about heads who seem to expect teacher to be in school long before the start and after the end times of the day. I've also heard of heads who want things done in a very 'tick boxy' way. This would have made all of my decent teachers 'problems' in the eyes of such HTs.

annascience2012 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

I hate all this 'informal' nonsense bandied about in schools now. Any meeting with SLT needs a union rep in there if any sort of 'concern' has been expressed.

8. GreenTrees123

GreenTrees123 Occasional commenter

No, obviously there has to be a formal procedure before any staff member is transitioned out. What I mean is that it's clear from a very early stage of any 'issue' being raised what the outcome will be.

It's much better for everyone involved if it can be sorted with a quick chat and maybe a word of advice or two in the staff member's ear (and most things are capable of being solved that way).

However, when you have the staff member being defensive, evasive or trying to invent theories about hate campaigns, it will very rarely be conducive to the good of the school. So, yes, the situation is then likely to result in them being mutually consented or transitioned out.

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

This. I went through something similar a few years ago as an NQT. The result was that they said they were going to put me on capability.

I left.

10. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

I’m keen to know how it went! Let us know how you got on OP.

11. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Truly, this is not an informal meeting. Do not treat it as such.
    Take a colleague in with you. This is a double slt trap. I've been there. Dont feel shy or bad about taking a trusted colleague, or asking for a delay so your rep can accompany you. Get notes taken whilst you are in there.
    Write up what was said and start keeping a contemporaneous diary.
    Keep your union informed.

Informal capability doesnt exist if I recall, they'll call it an action plan. An impossible thing to pass. Dont get entangled in that, better to leave and do supply.

To the headteacher in this thread, tut tut very snakey

tonymars, peter12171, Bedlam3 and 2 others like this.
  12. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

You’ve been given some indication of what the meeting is about. Thus, you can enter prepared both with information and emotionally.

The HT might have the DH present:
    as witness- sometimes we can hear different things when anxious;
    for their development in leading such meetings;
    to be a more familiar face for you;
    to note take- I’d prefer a DH note taking to an admin person for this sort of meeting.

If you sense the meeting referring to anything you are unsure of, you can end it- please can we continue after I’ve sought advice; please can stop as this is out of the blue and I feel upset.

It may be that the concerns have been made and they are giving you full chance to say your view on things. This is fairness. They may not believe them but have to be seen to investigate. It may be they get view from you and then go back to those complaining and put them right on the facts. This would not be a corridor meeting.

There may be feedback given where you think ‘actually yes I have presented a bit like that’ and this gives you that awareness to modify. Leaving next year is a long knowing of notice period for you and the school. I know when I’ve known I’ve been leaving I’ve had the glow feeling if new opportunity or relief to be leaving. Others might have viewed this as happiness or other- perception can mean different interpretations.

Hear what they say. Listen. Present facts calmly in response. Try not to react emotionally in a defensive way. However, upset might be appropriate if it does upset you.

13. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

You should not go to this meeting unaccompanied. The head has set the tone by inviting the deputy. Bring your rep. It will annoy the head if nothing else but then if you start something like this........

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Sometimes, the extra person may not be there to intimidate. I had a meeting with a head once, and he said that he'd invited the (female) AH along because he thought I'd appreciate having someone else there. I am quite sure that he meant it for my benefit, and he wasn't to know that I found the AH quite difficult to relate to. I said I'd rather it was just him and me and he was fine with that, and the meeting was also fine.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I hope the meeting went well.

But, (as Greentrees123 post says in his post)
    There is no such thing as an ‘informal meeting’

It has taken place- there is a record of it ( probably written , but definitely in HT’s head)

Even the ‘quick word in the corridor’ eg “Mrs Cat i noticed you were quite late in this morning” has a reason and a meaning behind it.
    It might be a subtle hint (we’ve noticed your poor time keeping or genuine concern that you're struggling in some way, or just a clarification “yes Mr HoD/HT I got caught in that traffic jam on the motorway” , “OK, no problem, if possible could you phone to let us know if it happens again?”)

But, I repeat, it has been logged , officially or just mentally.

16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Please let us know whats happened, and how it went.x

DexterDexter likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ah yes, the 'informal' meeting with the Head, the Head's chief lackey, and no stated agenda.

Last time myself and three other colleagues were shuffled one by one into the Head's office for such a meeting each of us was informed that our GCSE subject was being taken off the curriculum. The meeting was scheduled a couple of days before we broke up for Christmas, so no time for any comeback. Merry ****ing Christmas.

Fortunately I was tipped off about the content of the meeting in advance by a friendly SLT member, so I went in armed with a note pad, a pen, and some searching questions. I made a point of pretending to write down their responses.

Anything quoted at you from an unattributable source should be treated with deep mistrust. 'The Student Voice' springs readily to mind here. Vague references to unfavourable feedback that suits the leadership's hidden agenda.

Be grateful you're getting out of there. I only lasted another 12 months before I quit, and I'd been there 20 years.

18. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Spot on.

I'd actually treat it as fiction, express surprise, write it down, shake my head sadly, maybe even emit a quiet chortle or two with a sad smile.

Might lure the HT into saying something more, even giving you a clue who (if anyone) has been talking about you!

annascience2012 and agathamorse like this.
  19. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Hope everything went ok.

20. TalkingTeacher92252

TalkingTeacher92252 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I had my meeting this morning and it lasted a whole hour! It started off with myself being prepared and taking all my policies with me to which I was told I didn’t need them all “it is just a chat”. I was skeptical at first and remained level headed listens to everything that was said and raised my own concerns. There was no evidence presented about the allegations. A lot of it was said as advice and how it would inform my future job and progression in teaching. There was a lot of back and fourth about my demeanour and nothing concrete about the colleagues complaints. There was no evidence of this. With regards to my routines it was mainly said that my morning routines were not done in the way in which she would do them. A lot of other irrelevant comments were made to which I didn’t ‘agree’ with and remainder neutral. I was told that I would have some ‘targets’ to work on and then we would have a chat before Christmas to see how it has gone. I have it in writing that this is not part of a capability process and is not part of informal capability it was more of a ‘discussion’ I think that is vital that you get it in writing - via an email. I’m going to get my head down and get on with my job and not let it get to me. I look forward to my new job in September. I will keep you posted in the future about my meeting before Christmas to see what happens. Hopefully nothing, but if so I will be on to my union again. Thank you everyone for your advice these forums are great for support! I really do appreciate every comment that has been made. I guess like one of you said back to chanting football chants it is then...
    Remember everyone add a little bit of humour to your day and most importantly never let anything negative effect your teaching and the children’s learning - that is why we do the job.