1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

informal interview

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by zacky, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Have been offered the chance for an informal interview with a head who is flying to London this week. Am very excited but also very nervous!! I really don't want to mess this up. I've been teaching accross the primary years in London for 7 years but I have no IB experience. I'd really appreciate any advice,
    thank you

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Just one - there is no such thing as an informal interview with a head.

3. I went for an informal interview recently. Make eye contact, don't talk too much about yourself and show an interest in the school. Prepare answers to questions beforehand, e.g. "How would you reconcile your experience with the need to teach the PYP?", but don't be afraid to branch out or say something else at the time. Don't be too abrupt and then use body language to say "well, that's my answer... next!". Bring your answers to a nice conclusion that allows the interviewer to really know that you've finished what you had to say. Other than that it's obvious stuff really, like be on time, don't drum your fingers on the table, go for a pee beforehand...

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Correct.

5. Thanks so much for your help. Yeah that's why I'm so nervous - an "informal" interview. Will make some notes tonight to help me as I'm teaching all day tomorrow and will have to fly by the seat of my pants to get there after school. Thanks so much again.