1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal Competency Stage - Does it show on a reference?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by brickinthewall, Nov 18, 2011.

1. A headteacher is looking to move someone from the preliminary to informal stage of competency. Does he have to include this information on a reference? Would this apply to an `open' (i.e. `please provide a reference') or just where he is asked to comment specifically on whether the staff member is at this stage.
    Or is it only when it reaches the formal stage that he needs to include it on a reference?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Heads can write more or less what they like, as long it's it's factual and truthful (to the best of their knowledge) - i.e. they can include or leave out an awful lot of information.
    If you're asking should the head say that a teacher is being supported in a pre-incapability phase (because there's actually no such thing as 'informal competency' - what you're referring to I think is the support that should be given to a teacher prior to a decision being made to go to the formal incapability process), it's my view that some reference should be made to this - it might be in words like 'since September, Mrs Bloggs has been receiving regular support in order to assist her in developing better behaviour management strategies (insert appropriate phrase as necessary)...'
    Not to do so is a tad dishonest, in my opinion.