1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal chat

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by confused2, Feb 4, 2016.

1. confused2

confused2 New commenter

I submitted an application for a job, I got a call back from the headteacher asking me to come and have a chat about my application to get more information.

I filled out all the sections on the form and my personal statement applied to the person specification. I think the chat may be because I left my job in December without a job to go to. I am worried about how far the head may push me to talk about what happened in my previous job, which I left because of work place bullying.

I am going to talk about leaving because a new head came in with a different ethos and values to myself (which is true).
    What if they press me on what I did not like about the values? (I don't want to put the school in a bad light).

I wasn't going to bring this up at interview, unless asked, but I was signed off with stress for 9 weeks. Should I bring this up at all, even if the head does not ask?

2. confused2

confused2 New commenter

Also could I suggest a temporary contract if they are still interested in interviewing me?

This isn't necessarily what I want, but it might make them feel a bit better.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Be honest. Don't bring up a temp contract unless they do.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Firstly, don't worry about it!

If the Head wants a chat, then it's positive, it means that they have been impressed by your application and what you have to offer the school.

It may be that they ant to check your health (a school has a legal obligation to ensure Fitness for teaching), and that you are well balanced.

They may ask why you left, yes.

Yes, that's good.

Say something like this perhaps: I think that rather than talking about the school, it would perhaps be more helpful if I spoke about my values and ethos, which is X Y and Z

If you are pushed, you can always say I don't really feel comfortable talking about another school; I do believe in loyalty to an employer.

Do come back and let us know how you get on! Oh, and although it's an informal chat, you need to prepare as for a real interview.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

Very best wishes

Kartoshka likes this.