1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal chat and classroom observation

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bam53, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am new to here - I am currently completing my Honours degree through the Open University (June 2011). I have been applying to schools directly to see if they will employ me as an unqualified English teacher and support me through a GTP. Milton Keynes Academy has written to me today and asked me to arranage a date to go and see them and they would also like to observe me teaching a short class - I have not been given a subject yet.
    I do not know what to expect, how to prepare, what I should know what to wear etc etc etc - Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Bethan

2. Congratulations on being invited in! As far as the lesson goes, you really need to get specifics off them: what subject/topic and the focus for that lesson, what age group the class is, what ability, and how long a lesson you should be teaching. You can't really plan anything without this information.
    When you do know, you need to settle on clear learning objective: what precisely do you want them to be learning for that one lesson; and also a learning outcome: what will they be able to do by the end of the lesson (apply knowledge, define a concept, etc - depending on the subject you're teaching and the time you have. Then take it from there.
    As for dress, I think you should be suited and booted - if you're standing in front of a class you need to look professional. Even if it's only informal, I think you should try and make a good, strong impression by visually saying "I'm professional, I want to teach, and I mean business."

3. Thank you for this information :)
    I have been told that they will be giving me the partculars closer to the date of the 'interview'. This is my first 'proper' teching job/interview - I have unoffically taght and planned lessons (at a secondary PRU) but I think I am just a bit anxious as this could be the start of the rest of my life [​IMG]
    I really appreciate your help, thank you.