1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal chat and classroom observation

Discussion in 'English' started by bam53, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am new to here - I am currently completing my Honours degree through the Open University (June 2011). I have been applying to schools directly to see if they will employ me as an unqualified English teacher and support me through a GTP. Milton Keynes Academy has written to me today and asked me to arranage a date to go and see them and they would also like to observe me teaching a short class - I have not been given a subject yet.
    I do not know what to expect, how to prepare, what I should know what to wear etc etc etc - Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Bethan

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Dress for an interview - a suit or similar and ask what year group, how long and what topic. They'll almost certainly be ready to tell you that much, anyway, but also think about what you'd be happiest doing in case they ask you if there's anything you would prefer to do.
    Think about what you want to know (year group, ability, number in class etc) before you ring and get the name of a person you can call if you realise an hour later that you forgot to ask something.

3. Thank you for this help [​IMG]
    I have been told that they will give me a topic, yr group detail etc when we have set a date - (after half term).
    I have unofficially taught classes and written lesson plans etc but I have never done anything this formal so it's very exciting and also, it's a 'proper' interview - for a 'real' job (lol) which again is quite nerve wracking.