1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rmills1, Jul 7, 2015.

1. In addition, the two options on the table for me are. 1) Do informal capability (which could mean failing - but I think I can do it - but if I fail this would affect my future reference... Or would it?) 2) Take a perfect reference and have the next year to find a new job elsewhere. In all honesty, I don't like option 2 because it would mean a whole year would be a race to find somewhere suitable and despite what's happened I do like where I work at the moment. But I do need your advice on this. Please help.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If the focus of this action plan is your marking, its not a case of if its there or not - its a case of if its there, is it up to the standard and following the policy of what the school expect.

Marking can be scrutinised as subjectively as teaching. It is dependent on whether the person looking at your books thinks you are doing it correctly.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

So do your marking and you won't have a problem.

4. did you have anything in writing - in terms of saying that you are on an informal capability?

5. Thanks CWadd, I've already photocopied exemplar pieces of marking from my department to help me in future. And I'll be working closely with my HOD.

Oliveoil537- Nothing in writing as yet. But it can imagine I'll receive something in the next few days.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Have you contacted your Union? You need to keep them informed of this.

Your HT's comments I would interpret as making it clear that they are not prepared to tolerate underperformance, which is their right as employers. However, on another thread you started you said you had mitigating circumstances in the form of family issues. Did you make that clear to your line manager?

7. Having recently been shafted after a situation which began like yours..hand in notice and get a better job . Many schools ignore their own policy . Seriously your hod is gently warning you there with the dropping the ball reference . Protect your reference and career and move on. Good luck and remember your own worth.x

8. CWadd - Yes, the union has been contacted and are aware of the situation. I let my line manager of the issues at the start of last week, before the meeting with the head which I was unaware of at that time.

9. By 'issues' I mean domestic family issues, which were affecting how I worked.

10. Not as yet, it has been discussed at a couple of meetings.

11. Yes, my line manager was made aware of the domestic problems early last week (29-6-15) and the meeting with the head was later in the week on the Thursday.

12. thenorris

thenorris New commenter

Hi

I'm a little perplexed by this. I assume that you are a secondary teacher, so forgive me if I am wrong.

Can I ask:

How many classes do you have?

How many books do you have to mark?

The reason being is that I was told off for my marking at a past school and my head took my marking, photocopied it and then showed it to the rest of the staff as inadequate. Ironically, it was better than most of what the other teachers had been doing.

I had 20 classes (down from 29 I add) and over 500 books. I was told that I should spend 10 minutes per book which meant that it took over 60 hours per fortnight.

Just interested.

N

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Really? I don't think OFSTED ever evaluated individual teachers. They used to evaluate lessons or parts of lessons, which is very different, and don't even do that now.

I do, however, sympathise with people who are expected to spend unreasonable amounts of time on marking.

14. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If a teacher is told you must spend 30 hours a week on marking, can you ask for that in writing? Then, assuming you work 35 hours at school (and don't do any planning/meetings/events/sports groups etc) outside that time, you are working a 65 hour week. Is that legal?

15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The STPCD gets around that by saying something along the lines of 'additional time to discharge duties' which means that although your directed time is 1265 hours a year, you are expected to put in extra hours to do the job properly. A huge bone of contention.

16. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

This doesn't seem to be quite as straightforward as some people are assuming.

I teach three academic, essay-based subjects, each to KS4/5 examination classes. In theory, I could end up with 50+ hours of marking per week. This doesn't happen because I'm ultra-aware of the kind of work I set and have created my own plans for setting written work (in class and for homework), all in line with the school's assessment policy. I also make full use of a range of acceptable assessment opportunities (teacher-marked, self-assessment, peer-assessment etc).

It is soooooo important that you control your own marking load so that it leaves you a life and is also in line with the school assessment expectations.

Any school policy which states that teachers should spend a set number of hours per week marking is terribly naive. It is impossible to compare the demands of subjects as diverse as, say, English, Drama, Maths and PE.