1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal Capability - pay progression from M6

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by becktonboy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

your capability can only have any bearing if it took place in the last 2 years, I would have thought it definitely represents 'evidence' in terms of PM and passing through threshold

2. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

1) My understanding is that PM is suspended whilst capability is on. (otherwise you'll be chasing 6 targets at the same time whilst under threat of dismisal)
    2) You have to have successfully have passed the PM cycle for the year, to move up to UPS, (2 for UPS), Therefore, my GUESS is that you won't be eligible for progression, since you haven't done an entire PM cycle.
    3) My belief is that the Head has a lot of manoeuvre within the guidelines, but also they can use the "them's the rules" option.
    You need to get union advice, however, my belief is that you are unlikely to go up this year. I'd straighten things up this year, get some more good observations, (bearing in mind where they've moved the goal posts to again this year!), and try again next year.
    Good luck
    Ian

3. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

If you have been on informal capability... then you haven't actually been on 'capability' ... surely they have been setting targets and looking over your shoulder to give you a chance to show what you can do rather than steaming straight in with capability... so why on earth didn't they do your PM?
    I think I would go talk to them about which targets etc made up your PM... assume that of course this counts as PM because they surely wouldn't want to prevent you from progressing etc.. and here's my union rep if you have any problem with that.

4. casper

casper New commenter

I fear that you will find a lot of this going on, Sorry you are having to go through tis is it horrid. Take care. My threshold application was ignored for a whole year. There are some Heads making it up as they go along. I hope this gets sorted out for you.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And you know who is doing nothing to discourage this. The majority of heads stick to fair play.