1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal capability extended

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hfromh, Jun 7, 2018.

1. hfromh

hfromh New commenter

I've had my informal capability extended. Only just missed the targets. Now have original targets plus more. Have a feeling that the same thing will happen at the end of this. It's just too stressful and making me ill. Do schools allow resignations after the deadline? Not sure if it's best to try to leave at the end of August, or December?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

ask your union to negotiate with the head.

good luck and lots of love

xx

agathamorse likes this.
  3. mintygirl

mintygirl New commenter

If it’s making you ill, go to the doctors. 6 weeks to the summer. You could definitely negotiate leaving by December. Remember you’re entitled to 6 months full pay. Don’t let them grind you down. I’ve been off for 3 months and just starting to feel better because I’ve not been there. The relentless monitoring and scrutiny and being made to feel you’re not good enough will make anyone ill. I presume you work hard, we all do. What they’re doing is just not right. Look after yourself.

4. hfromh

hfromh New commenter

I'm sorry you've been made ill by it all too. Hope you continue to get stronger. I've been teaching 20 years and I'm suddenly not good enough. Seen this happen to others before me, and I won't be the last. Sad for what teaching has become. Take care.

5. hfromh

hfromh New commenter

Thank you. Feeling isolated at the moment. Good to know there are people out there.

brightandbeautiful likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What's the time period for this? You don't want to go onto formal capability. Doesn't look good.

Absolutely no reason why school couldn't accept a resignation at this point. They aren't obliged to do so but they may be delighted to have a parting of the ways. Just ask!

7. hfromh

hfromh New commenter

Review date is October. New target is virtually unachievable as it isn't easily measurable and is based on opinions of me rather than something I can actually work on to improve.

I'm presuming informal capability won't keep on being extended, so it will be formal capability after October. I just know they'll find reasons why I haven't met targets again.

8. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Yes if it is based on opinions then it is likely they are just setting you up to go to formal capability. That way they have a nice paper trail of all the "support" they have offered you when they dismiss you. Definitely speak to your union and look after yourself

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

beleive me you are not alone - I've had this, I've seen dozens of people have this, literally dozens. I know that THOUSANDS of people have this.

This was me 3 years ago, now happy in a school I love with people who highly value me.

Its the same me, just I was a jigsaw piece in the wrong place before, and in the right place now.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As has been said, the school might well be prepared to let you leave at the end of August. Or, perhaps they might agree to not take things further if you resign for the end of the year. You probably should involve your union, if you haven't already.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Targets are supposed to be SMART. Hmmm.

If you're happy to leave and can afford to do so without having firmed up a new job then go for it. They'll let you.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  12. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I'd hold out for the money and do what has been mentioned above, go off sick with WRS for the rest of this summer term and then re-think your strategies in September.

Leaving now may not be in your best interests especially financially and carefully assess your chances of getting another job quickly. If you are Ebacc, especially Maths and Physics up to A level, you know you are more in demand, if you are non-Ebacc, it will be tougher, so you have to make the right decision for you.

Hope you get some respite from all this nonsense over the weekend and do as been said above
    a. appointment with doctors to possibly sign you off sick
    b. contact union and
    c. don't forget to ring Samaritans and Education Support Patnership to talk this through.

I'm assuming your UPS and over 40/50 and it's a cost saving strategy on the school's side, but there has to be more humane ways to do this in the 21st century.