1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Informal capability and interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by JAFF23, Mar 28, 2016.

1. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Hi, I am currently on informal capability so am applying for posts within my preferred age group. Can my employer refuse to allow me to go to several interviews. I need to get out before things get to the formal stage but am worried that my employer may refuse me time off if at first I don't succeed if that makes sense!!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes indeed - they can refuse to allow you to go to ONE interview if they choose.

Have you been to inform the head that you're applying for other posts and ask her/his permission to name them as a referee? If not, do so at once. During this discussion you might want to open up the topic of needing time off, perhaps saying "It might take me more than one interview to secure a post - will you allow me the time off to attend?"

3. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Many thanks Middlemarch. I asked my head at the last meeting if he would be a referee and he agreed that he would. However, I did not mention taking time off for interviews so will mention this at the next meeting. I am literally applying for anything that comes up hence why I posed my original question.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, a lot of people don't realise that going to any interview is at the discretion of the Head.

Have you found - and followed - all the applications advice? And for later on - all the interview advice?

Tag me @TheoGriff if not and I'll point you to it.

Best wishes

topgirl1 likes this.
  5. JeanL

JeanL New commenter

I had 5 interviews last year. The first one was a paid day off, the others were unpaid. Changing schools was worth losing 4 days' pay, though.

sabrinakat likes this.