1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Info for teaching at international school needed. Salary, medical insurance, housing, etc

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by elvispresley1956, Aug 8, 2017.

1. elvispresley1956

elvispresley1956 New commenter

Hi everyone,

OK, so my family (wife and two kids) are looking to make the big move in a couple years. Early days, but I like to prepare/fantasise, etc...

One of our desired countries to move to is Italy, and I would really appreciate it if anyone could answer the following questions please. I am looking to work in a school that uses the British curriculum (or can offer IB training on the job).

1 - What would be the average salary in a decent international school for a secondary teacher with 10 years experience?
    2 - What medical insurance do they provide for teacher and dependents?
    3 - Do teacher's children get free admission to the school, or what is the average discount?
    4 - How much do teacher's get for housing allowance?
    5 - Do any schools offer a pension?

Any help much appreciated! If you could provide some numbers (i.e. your wage and rental amounts, etc) that would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Spurs 78

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Honestly, much of the information you're asking for will depend entirely on the school. Some people who have worked in Italy before or are currently there might be able to tell you about the school they worked/work at but it will only apply to their school. Lots of people come looking for the info you're after and the only place I know that provides it is a we'll know recruitment company but you have to sign up and be actively looking for a job to access the information. Hopefully someone with knowledge of schools in Italy will be along shortly.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It all depends on the school but Italy overall has a reputation for paying peanuts. Package benefits are limited or nonexistent. A benefit such as tuition for children would be taxed.
    Unless you're independently wealthy, you'll probably do much better in almost any other country except France and Spain.
    Why is it always Italy, France and Spain?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. elvispresley1956

ejclibrarian, appreciate the feedback. Yes, I understand that it depends on what school, etc, I am only after a general ball park figure.

Gulfgolf, thanks for your comment - it seems to mirror most other comments on other threads. Why Italy, France or Spain? As a Brit, it's close to my home country, the weather's decent and I'm close to my family. And no, I don't want to move to the UK. :)

Teachallover likes this.
  5. Lookingout

Lookingout New commenter

Hi, I can help you, what subject and is your wife a teacher/what will she do?

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I've worked at two international schools in Northern Italy so will attempt to give you some context.

Teachers are not well paid in Italy less than the UK and in some of the international school you're better off working on the checkouts at Tesco!

No medical insurance instead you register with the regional health board once you have your codice fiscale - tax code. This entitles you to Italian health service.

Generally no housing allowance but in my second school I did get €375/month but my rent on a small apartment in the suburbs (<70 sq m) was €1150/month in 2012.

Free schooling is seen as a taxable benefit therefore you are usually asked to pay between 20-60% but if your children are young send them to Italian school.

Pension - yes! You pay monthly into the state system which gives you access to all health benefits and retirement payments.

All this may look grim on the financial front but this will be compensated by the lifestyle.

I'm now returning to mainland Europe after many years in the middle and Far East. I've had enough of travelling long haul and now just want to be close to home without being in the UK. I know I'm taking a massive pay cut but I'm mortgage free and am just building up my savings for retirement. My youngest son will start uni in 2-3 years but I've factored that into my plan.

Good luck

spurs78 and Teachallover like this.
  7. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Hey, I was like you and really interested in a job in Italy, 4 years on and I'm not there but I've since done some research and have some schools I would consider should the opportunity arise (it's a very short list). I've ended up for now in Romania. It actually has a lot of similarities with Italy - good wine, laid back culture, crazy hot weather for half of the year...mad driving haha. But in many ways it's not that different and we are very near an airport that serves almost every airport in Italy with cheap flights so I get to go to my spiritual home often. The reason for Romania over Italy was simple. Here, I got a job at a decent school that pays about double what I'd earn in Italy, with a lower cost of living.

spurs78, ejclibrarian and lottee1000 like this.
  8. elvispresley1956

Really appreciate your responses guys, certainly food for thought.

9. elvispresley1956

Thank you, I will PM you.

10. elvispresley1956

Just seen I can't PM you!

Without giving too much away, by 2019, which is when we plan to move, I will have 5 years secondary experience (British curriculum) and the wife will have over ten years as head of faculty.