1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INFLUENCES ON A LEVEL COMPOSERS......

Discussion in 'Music' started by ViolaMan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. I am currently researching influences on A level composers, looking specifically at any impact the music they listen to recreationally has on their work. Can anyone recommend any literature that is worth looking at? I've read quite a lot already but am keen to read more. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. I am currently researching influences on A level composers, looking specifically at any impact the music they listen to recreationally has on their work. Can anyone recommend any literature that is worth looking at? I've read quite a lot already but am keen to read more. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

3. Don't know if the following are what you are looking for!
    Boal-Palheiros & Hargreaves (2001). Listening to music at home and at school. British Journal of Music Education, 18:2. 103 - 118.
    Lamont, Hargreaves, Marshall & Tarrant (2003). Young people's music in and out of school. BJME, 20:3, 229 - 241.
    Macdonald, Hargreaves & Miell (eds.). Musical Identities. Oxford University Press.
    Wright, R. Sociology in the Pschology of Music. Basingstoke: Ashgate Publishing.

4. Emma....thank you SO much for your help. Can I be cheeky and add that I'm also looking at how they are influenced by the stylistic features of melody, rhythm and structure in other music. Any further ideas on this one? Once, again, thank you very much.

5. Look at the Boal-Palheiros and look at the references section - might be some further suggestions there!